This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Playdough In The Thermomix

smilla

smilla Newbie

Hi, I would like to share a playdough recipe which I have been making with really consistent success. I adapted it from a recipe I found here and the thermomix recipe book version.

I am pretty sure this could be adapted for most of the cooking/stirring machines out there.

Here goes:

Ingredients:

1 cup salt (280g)

1 cup gluten-free cornflour/cornstarch (150g)

1 cup rice four (150g) - you can mill this yourself but I hate the noise so I usually just use premilled

2 cups (500g) water

1 tbsp cream of tartar

2 tsp oil eg olive, grapeseed

Another cup each of cornstarch and rice flour to add later

Method:

Mill salt on 9 for 30 seconds

Add water and cream of tartar and heat at 60 degrees C for 5 minutes speed 3

Add 1cup each of rice and cornflour(starch) and mix on speed 5 at 60 degrees C for about 2 minutes - the mix should be just starting to get a bit thick and gloopy, but definitely not as thick as usual playdough

Add the 2 tsp oil (I always forget to do this!!!) and mix again, no heat.

At this point I usually transfer it to a covered bowl to cool, but if you don't need to use your thermomix for a few hours, just cover it and let it cool to room temperature, then add 2/3 cup of rice flour and 2/3 cup corn starch and mix again on about speed 5

If you have taken it out and put it in a bowl you can do this by hand and knead the flour in. This is fun for a little helper to do.

It is really important to let the mix cool down as if you add the extra flour too soon it turns out crumbly.

You will now have approx 1L of amazing, smooth, soft gluten-free playdough that last for ages if you keep it in an airtight container. No need to refrigerate it

To colour: either add the colour in the first step, or once the dough is complete, divide into smaller balls and knead the colour through, or just return each ball to thermie to evenly mix the colour through.

I have made this several times now and it is really the best recipe I have found. There is no locally available gluten-free playdough where I live so it is great to be able to make it for my daughter's preschool class in bulk.

I no longer get the feeling of dread I used to when making playdough, wondering if it would sticky or crumbly. 

Hope this will be helpful for some other parent/grandparents/teachers of kids with celiac/coeliac.

• 1 year later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

smilla Newbie

I have a much easier updated recipe. This is for a bulk amount of playdough, eg. if you are providing for a preschool class for everyone to share.

In a food processor mill 1 cup cheapest cooking salt until it is very fine. Add 500g rice flour, 300g cornstarch, 6 teaspoons cream of tartar and blend until nicely combined. Tip out into large pot (I use an 8L stock pot) - doesn't need to be on the stove. You don't cook this mixture!

Measure out 3 cups (750ml) boiling water and add 2 teaspoons of oil and a big squirt of food colouring. 

pour boiling water mix into pot and mix mix mix. 

It will come together quite quickly and once it really thickens you can start to knead it in the pot. It will be pretty hot still but I like the warmth on my hands. Knead for a bit until it is mixed smoothly and all the flour is incorporated. cover pot with some plastic wrap and the lid and once it cools down you will have a mega preschool class sized playdough batch that has taken about 5 minutes to make. 

Archived