Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Deducting Food From Taxes

27 posts in this topic

Hi!

I am a self-dignosed celiac, and so is my 2 year-old son. I am having trouble getting diagnosed officially. I had the blood test and it came up just a hair below positive. My doc then dismissed it and said there was no need to do a biopsy. I believe I do suffer from celiac disease and the reason my test was negative was because I am on Plaquenil for (possible) lupus and autoimmune issues, and it reduces my antibody counts. So, I've fallen through the cracks yet again. :(

Since that happened I decided to take matters into my own hands and put my son and I on a gluten-free diet. The changes in our health are nothing short of amazing! I know I am onto something here.

My question is - if I get tested by Enterolab and get a positive test, is that enough to warrant deducting food from my taxes? What are the rules on this? What about seeing a naturopath? There is apparently a great doc that specializes in celiac disease just an hour away from me in Nashua, NH.

The way I see it - nobody would willingly subject themselves to this diet if they didn't have to. I really feel it is imperative that my son and I remain gluten-free for the rest of our lives. So, why is it so hard to get a diagnosis? My son and I have most of the symptoms, autism runs in my family, I have autoimmune diseases, my grandfather died of colon cancer and my aunt currently has it.

Thanks so much for your input! :)

Christine

Never mind the above. My post got pinned into this conversation and I had no idea! Now I have the answers. Thanks!

Christine