This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Colitis, Crohn's & Celiac

Guest gillian502

Guest gillian502

I was diagosed with celiac disease last August, and was finally getting used to that disease when, 2 days ago, I was diagnosed with Colitis, which is chronic and located in all parts of my colon. However, although chronic and everywhere, it's also a "mild" case. I'm about to start medication tonight.

My questions are: What's the difference between Colitis and Crohn's, and what link does Colitis have to Celiac? Steve W. helped me out with some info on this a couple days ago (thanks! :) ) but I'd like to know more. I'm also terrified of losing my whole colon one day, and would like to know if that is rare, or common, or what. Not to mention my chances for cancer must be sky high at this point considering I now have 2 of these diseases! Also, is Colitis also auto-immune like celiac disease is?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Hi I am not sure how to answer your question but here is a link that may help you out. I do hope you find some answers.... good luck to you and God Bless

Research on Diseases and Disorders Associated with Celiac Disease

LDHV Newbie

Hi Gillian

sorry for the bad news but, now that you know your headed in the right direction.

I am the mother of a 13year old with Crohn's and Ceilac. We were told in August also that she had both through colonoscopy. All of this came about because of anemia........

To answer some of your questions: Yes - all are autoimmune. My understanding is Colistis - effects the large intestines-rectum. Crohns - effects the whole or any part of the digestive tract. both diseses have some serious consequences if you dont treat them. Including, the chance of getting more autoimmune diseases.

for now we are lucky she is responding to the meds trying to keep the crohns under control but, it does take time. As for the question is this common? Our doctor said NO but after being on this board there is quite a few of us out there diagnosed and Im afraid alot more may get it if they dont take Celiac and the diet serious.

Please remember now that you know look ahead and take care of yourself. My daughter hasn't slowed down much at all (then again) we didn't know anything was the matter with her. I had never even heared about Celiac till July 2003 and all those little signs came together. the only sign of sickness that I see now is she is still small, pale skin, and gets tired by the time the week-end rolls around. Between playing soccer and running up to two miles a day Im tired just keeping up with her..........

Hope this helps,

Leah

Jacie's mom

LUAP Newbie

Hey, here is my explanation and sorry for my bad english. I

SteveW Rookie

Me again :)

Open Original Shared Link

Lots of info on this site.

• 1 month later...
khyricat Rookie

another Crohns/COlitis link: Open Original Shared Link

Mom is on their board. She has Crohns and I have had a diagnosis of it for years but my symptoms were not always consistant.

Archived