- - - - -

Colitis, Crohn's & Celiac

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:00 PM

I was diagosed with celiac disease last August, and was finally getting used to that disease when, 2 days ago, I was diagnosed with Colitis, which is chronic and located in all parts of my colon. However, although chronic and everywhere, it's also a "mild" case. I'm about to start medication tonight.

My questions are: What's the difference between Colitis and Crohn's, and what link does Colitis have to Celiac? Steve W. helped me out with some info on this a couple days ago (thanks! :) ) but I'd like to know more. I'm also terrified of losing my whole colon one day, and would like to know if that is rare, or common, or what. Not to mention my chances for cancer must be sky high at this point considering I now have 2 of these diseases! Also, is Colitis also auto-immune like celiac disease is?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:19 PM

Hi I am not sure how to answer your question but here is a link that may help you out. I do hope you find some answers.... good luck to you and God Bless

Research on Diseases and Disorders Associated with Celiac Disease

#3 LDHV

LDHV

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:10 PM

Hi Gillian
sorry for the bad news but, now that you know your headed in the right direction.
I am the mother of a 13year old with Crohn's and Ceilac. We were told in August also that she had both through colonoscopy. All of this came about because of anemia........
To answer some of your questions: Yes - all are autoimmune. My understanding is Colistis - effects the large intestines-rectum. Crohns - effects the whole or any part of the digestive tract. both diseses have some serious consequences if you dont treat them. Including, the chance of getting more autoimmune diseases.
for now we are lucky she is responding to the meds trying to keep the crohns under control but, it does take time. As for the question is this common? Our doctor said NO but after being on this board there is quite a few of us out there diagnosed and Im afraid alot more may get it if they dont take Celiac and the diet serious.
Please remember now that you know look ahead and take care of yourself. My daughter hasn't slowed down much at all (then again) we didn't know anything was the matter with her. I had never even heared about Celiac till July 2003 and all those little signs came together. the only sign of sickness that I see now is she is still small, pale skin, and gets tired by the time the week-end rolls around. Between playing soccer and running up to two miles a day Im tired just keeping up with her..........
Hope this helps,
Leah
Jacie's mom

#4 LUAP

LUAP

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:17 AM

Hey, here is my explanation and sorry for my bad english. Iím French .

Wheat, barley an rye are like razor blades. When you it one of those, you injure your cells. Than the cells try to repare damage with transglutaminase. But there is probably to much damage at same time because your system decide to remove transglutaminase by doing antibody against it. Like if there was to much transglutaminase at a same time, that it could create a bigger problem. Transglutaminase means glutamine + lysine.

So, when you eat bread, barley or rye, your body is doing antibody that trash glutamine and lysine.
Lysine makes you absorb calcium (so missing it means eyes problems and bone problems)
Glutamine is the only protein that cross the brain barrier (because itís the only protein that cross the brain barrier, not having enough glutamine explains the brain problems).

So transglutaminase is being removed, villi is still injured. It opens the door to every problem of bowels, kidney, liverÖ. Here is a cut and past of something I found on the internet.

Mold fungi byproducts produce some of the strongest poisons known to man. These are called mycotoxins. Many of these molds can be found in the food we eat or from damp musty areas, etc. Some of the more common mycotoxins are listed below.

Aflatoxin: One of the most potent carcinogens known. It occurs in beer, peanuts, brazil nuts, bulk grains and bread (more than a few days old), overripe fruit and apple cider vinegar (is especially bad). One hefty dose of aflatoxin can debilitate the liver for years. Thus losing it's ability to detoxify.

Patulin: A deadly mycotoxin. That is associated with cancer. It occurs in overripe apples and other overripe fruits.

Zearalenone: A corn mold mycotoxin. It occurs in brown rice, popcorn, corn chips and other corn products.

Ergot: Associated with cancer and occurs in whole grain products, honey and alcoholic beverages.
The importance of the above-mentioned mycotoxins is they can further weaken your immune system. They are actually used as food by candida albicans thus making matters even worse. If you are sick. You should avoid these foods if at all possible.

A look at this cut and past make you understand why gluten free diet is not only about wheat, rye and barley. Now look at the results (in French but just check at the pictures):

http://www.maladieco...com/mcdiag2.htm

a look at the picture at the right show de disease at itís best. Then, you are not absorbing a lot of things. That absorbtion problem will cause you new problems. For example

- problem whit zonulin that creates diarea (see dr fasanoís work)
- problem with gas
Iíve read that kron disease was caused by nitrogen oxyd (NOx). Nitrogen oxyd create movement in your bowel. To much NOx damage yours cells. Now, will you be surprised if I tell you that GMS (glutamate monosodium) with arginine is involved in Nox? Note that there a large amount of GMS in tomato.

To get rid of all those diseases, there is nothing like probiotics, omega3 and food that destroys molds and cancer .

I donít have explanation about colitis. People are saying drinking cola and other pops drink that contain a huge amount of sugar and acid and cafein is not helping.

I hope it answer your questions a little :o

paul
Canada
Where the health cares are free, but where the doctors worry more about their bank account than the health of their patients.
gluten-free since april 2003
On the no grain diet (Mercola) and initial phase diet (kaufmann) since january 2005. healthy since january 2005

#5 SteveW

SteveW

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:23 PM

Me again :)

http://ibdfriends.com/index.html

Lots of info on this site.

#6 khyricat

khyricat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 06:25 AM

another Crohns/COlitis link: The Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America

Mom is on their board. She has Crohns and I have had a diagnosis of it for years but my symptoms were not always consistant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: