4 replies to this topic

#1 munchkinette

munchkinette

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

Can I eat hot fudge sauce on ice cream? (Not the regular chocolate syrup) One of my friends was convinced it had some kind of flour as a thickener. I could see it having malt flavoring or something like that, but flour? That seemed weird.
Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003
Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)
Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)
Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:20 PM

You would have to check the brand that you were planning to eat--there's no way to say if all of a certain type of prepared food is gluten-free. That would be too easy :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

I've used the Smucker's hot fudge sauce with no problem. I had verified at one point that it was gluten-free, but you may want to double check with them just to be sure.

I do know that the hot fudge at McDonald's is gluten-free! I get the hot fudge sundae off the dollar menu and yummmmmmm

however, Dairy Queen says that their hot fudge sauce IS NOT gluten-free. Always check with the company, never assume just because one brand is ok that all are.

#4 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:42 PM

DQ® Gluten-Free Products
http://www.dairyquee...eds/default.htm
Dec. 2005.

For our customers with gluten intolerance, the following Dairy Queen® treats are gluten-free containing no wheat, barley, oats or rye.

Vanilla and Chocolate Soft Serve
Arctic Rush™ slush - all flavors
MooLatté® (without whipped topping)
(Please note: This does NOT include Hazelnut Flavored drinks.)
Additionally the following toppings are gluten-free:

Chocolate
Hot Fudge
Marshmallow
Butterscotch
Strawberry
Caramel
Our supplier of manufactured novelties informs us that the following items are also gluten-free:

DQ® Fudge Bar
DQ® Vanilla Orange Bar
Dilly® Bar (look for this in a sealed plastic wrap)
If you would like to try one of our famous Blizzard® treats, the following is a list of gluten-free Blizzard® treats.

Reese’s® Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard®
Butterfinger® Blizzard®
Snickers® Blizzard®
Heath® Blizzard®
M&M® Blizzard®
Banana Split Blizzard®
Hawaiian Blizzard®
Tropical Blizzard®
Strawberry Blizzard®
Mint M&M® Blizzard®
Please know, many of our Blizzard® candies and toppings contain wheat, rye, oats, and/or barley and would not be safe for a customer with gluten intolerance. As the Blizzard® machine is used for all flavors, cross-contamination may occur on any flavor Blizzard®. So for your safety, we recommend notifying the Dairy Queen® staff of your allergy or intolerance and requesting they thoroughly clean the Blizzard® machine before blending your Blizzard® to reduce the risk of cross-contamination.

When in doubt whether a product may contain a particular allergen, we recommend you purchase a pre-packaged manufactured novelty treat, which contains an ingredient listing and nutrition facts panel on the package.

Dairy Queen® restaurants are very busy and cross contamination may occur between ingredients. Thus a 100% confidence level cannot be guaranteed. It is important that you ask your local Dairy Queen® restaurant for an ingredient listing of the specific item in question and let them know of your special needs.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#5 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:55 PM

Well, Dairy Queen seems unusually on top o f the gluten thing!

For the best and cheapest fudge sauce, make your own. It takes like a minute longer than opening and heating Smuckers.

Melt a cup of dark chocolate chips in the microwave with a tablespoon or two of butter, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in 1/4-1/2 cup of half-and-half, light cream, or whipping cream, and heat for 30 more seconds. You can add vanilla or any kind of gluten-free liqueur that you like . I used to like Grand Marnier, Kahlua (sp? that doesn't look quite right), or Frangelico--I have no idea if any of those are gluten-free, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: