3 replies to this topic

#1 GEF

GEF

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 12:49 PM

... and I'm assuming they expect you to throw the blood tests in the trash...

Gretchen

http://www.drhoffman.com/page.cfm/37

A normal small bowel biopsy rules out celiac sprue, a true malabsorption state in which intestinal cells are visibly damaged, but it does not rule out gluten sensitivity. Although asymptomatic people with gluten sensitivity may have normal or near-normal biopsies, so also may people with symptomatic gluten sensitivity. This has been reported in the medical literature called "Gluten Sensitivity with minimal Enteropathy" or "Gluten-Sensitive Diarrhea without Celiac Disease". Even though such people's intestines appear normal under the microscope, up to one half already have nutrient malabsorption, a major contributor to osteoporosis and malnutrition, leading to the conclusion that microscopic analysis of intestinal biopsies is an insensitive way of assessing immunologic food sensitivity. However, because there is still a virtually universal reliance on small bowel biopsies to diagnose gluten intolerance, most asymptomatic or symptomatic gluten sensitive people are told they do not have a diagnosis of celiac sprue, and are given no recommendations to modify their diets.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:06 PM

Gretchen,

That is a great article, thanks for putting it here. It is exactly this reason why I like Dr. Fine's Enterolab tests. They pick up gluten sensitivity, where it is usually missed in the Celiac bloodtests and biopsy, yet still needs a gluten-free diet for optimum health.
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 deweyhughie

deweyhughie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:36 PM

Hmmmmm, that is a very interesting article. Seems to offer an explanation for all these negative biopsy results. He raises a good point in that even after a negative biopsy, it may be worthwhile to go on the diet to see if symptoms improve.
Best wishes,
Dewey
Marion, IA

#4 CarolynM

CarolynM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 08:08 PM

This is exactly where my daughter is right now! Positive antigliadin, negative biopsy but consistent symptoms that I tracked along with her diet and found the connection to wheat! That is why they did the blood tests; I almost feel like the doctor doesn't acknowledge the possibility that she is still at the least gluten-sensitive because it wasn't his "idea". He never mentioned there could be anything "in-between" - he basically told me either you have celiac disease or wheat is the greatest thing on earth for you. We got results from the biopsy a month ago; I wanted to believe the results but still see the correlation with wheat in her diet. We have just returned from a fun but messy and stinky vacation and are going gluten-free tomorrow - wish us luck! She is nearly 3 and loves wheat products.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: