2 replies to this topic

#1 EddieJP125

EddieJP125

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:30 AM

I have been diagnosed with celiac disease a couple of months ago...but didn't know i had DH...just looked at the paperwork yesterday...i always thought that my skin condition was eczema is or does always look like that?...it gets cleared up and maintained when i use a steroidal cream everyday...and input from all this...and wat exactly is DH?
thankx
Eddue

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:45 AM

Here are a couple of webpages on it (you can find a LOT of information by looking it up in google):

DH Info Sheet
Another Page

Most of the information out there is much the same, and yeah, steroids are used to treat it initially and can clear it up. But topical steroids have some pretty serious side effects, whereas going gluten-free (which is almost always associated with DH) does not. The thought is that the immune reaction from gluten, instead of affecting the intestines, are affecting the skin instead, and I believe a few studies have found IgA deposits in the skin lesions.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 ponita

ponita

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:06 AM

I was dx is celiac disease in june and have been gluten-free for 10 weeks now. I have had outbreaks of DH for 10 years off and on. For 10 years the docs knew it wasn't chickenpox, it wasn't shingles and it wasn't poison ivy but no one know what it was until I was dx with celiac disease. In the past these outbreaks would flare up 2 x a year.
My search now is to find why I may broke out almost continuously for the last 5 weeks. One place will flare up, clear up and then a new spot will appear. I have looked very closely at my diet and unless there is another food suspect I am gluten-free (only fruits, veg., cheese, eggs, meat and very little diary) not food outside of my house and no packaged anything. any ideas?

Melissa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: