1 reply to this topic

#1 betsyly

betsyly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 12:33 PM

My mom had guillain-barre about two years ago.I have read that celiac disease can sometimes follow a viral infection. She has been sick non-stop since she had the guillain-barre.

She has constant problems with urinary track infections which led to the diagnois of interstitial cystitis,which cause to her to have to change her diet. She did good for awhile,but now is having severe stomach pains,vomiting with almost every meal,and extenvise weight loss.An d she doesn't sleep more that a couple hours a night.

Some days or weeks are good for her others,are to difficult to deal with. I would like to see my mom enjoy life again,and be able to enjoy eating without of fear of whether or not it is going to cause a problem.

If anyone can give me some information,or their thoughts on this,could it be caused from the guillian-barre,and what can be done to help her
Sincerly
Betsy Young

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2004 - 01:38 PM

Hi Betsy, with the health problems your mom is experiencing she really needs to be tested for Celiac Disease either with blood-work through her doctor or through Enterolab with a stool panel test. It is very simple to do and you get your results back usually within 2-3 weeks.

If your mom has health insurance I would try the blood-work first then if you do not get the answers you are looking for Enterolab would be a great 2nd opinion.

If she doesn’t have insurance I think Enterolab would definitely be a lot cheaper than lab-work and or other procedures used to diagnose Celiac Disease such as an Endoscopy.

Celiac Disease can be brought on by a number of things (i.e. infections, stress, pregnancy, etc) and for the sake of her health it's definitely worth checking in to.

I hope your mom begins to feel better soon and if she has Celiac Disease, you may want to get tested as it is a genetic disease.

I hope this helps and welcome to the board :) this is a great place with wonderful people that are here to help you. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: