4 replies to this topic

#1 JUDI42MIL

JUDI42MIL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 01:28 AM

I have a question? I had the blood work for celiac done, and it came back positive. My doctor said there was no reason to then have a biopsy done as the bloodwork was positive. Ive been reading a lot on this board that most it seems after a positive bloodwork have the biopsy. So question is , is the biopsy needed?????
he also said he doesnt even have to waste anyones money to test my one daughter. that because I have it and my mom has it, and with her symptoms, he is 98 % sure my daughter has it without any testing.
So do you think he is right? Or do we need the biopsy?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 05:05 AM

If your mother has it and you have symptoms (do you, you didn't say) and your bloodwork is positive, the odds are higher than 99 percent that you have it. Do you need the biopsy to convince yourself and to stay on the diet? If so, tell your doctor that. If not, you don't need the biopsy. But whatever you do don't decide to skip the biopsy now only to come back later and do a challenge to get one.

As for your daughter, the same question applies. Do either you or she need to see some test results to be convinced?

richard

#3 GEF

GEF

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 05:10 AM

I'm with Richard on your probability of having celiac. Now, apparently you need to be biopsy-proven to participate in some celiac studies... and I'm not sure if the tax-relef would apply to that as well. Perhaps someone could shed a light on that.

Gretchen

#4 Guest_missyflanders_*

Guest_missyflanders_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2004 - 01:51 PM

I think for the tax relief you just need a diagonosis from a doctor, which she has.

#5 kschmitz

kschmitz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 06:46 PM

I had a history of anemia, GERD, low thyroid function, early onset osteoporosis, bloating, gas, constant fatigue, etc. After experiencing unexplained weight loss, my internist referred me to a gastroenterologist, who after looking at my history, ordered the blood tests for celiac disease. The tests were positive, and with my other medical history, my doctor said that a biopsy was not necessary to diagnose me with celiac disease. My doctor also said that the "best test" is improvement from symptoms with the gluten free diet. If your symptoms are diminishing and you are feeling better, why would you need to have any more tests?

My sister, who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and IBS about ten years ago, had the blood tests for celiac disease after my tests were positive. She also tested positive. She is encouraging her two daughters and their children to be tested.

My daughter, who had dh-like symptoms from age 12 until 19, also had the blood tests recently and was IgG positive only. She is now having her daughters checked.

I can't talk my son into having the tests, but he is soon to be a new father, and I think he will probably come to terms with the possibility of having celiac disease, especially since so many of our family are showing positive test results.

ks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: