4 replies to this topic

#1 powerbraid

powerbraid

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:30 AM

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone out there with a problem with Cow's milk is able to digest Goat's or Sheep's?

I've figured out that I can't only not digest gluten, but also lactose and soy. :(

Help! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:08 AM

If you're just lactose (the milk sugar) intolerant, you can still have milk by taking lactase enzymes.
If you are casein (the milk protein) intolerant, you might be able to have goat's milk, but it depends upon your level of intolerance. Most people are intolerant to just one or two of the subsets of casein found in dairy, and while all mammals contain all of the subtypes, they contain them at different levels. So, you might be able to have it, but possibly not. Some other types of milk are even more likely (studies suggest that mares milk (horse) is the most tolerable for those with an allergy *or* an intolerance - there's a big difference).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:33 AM

I discovered a couple months ago that I'm fine w/ the occasional goat cheese.
There are some fanTAStic ones. I've only had local "fresh" varieties so far - nothing "aged".
So it's been some Feta, Mozzarella & regular Chevre.
Yum :)
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#4 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:26 PM

Yes, I am one that is fine with goats milk cheese in moderation but cannot tolerate cows milk cheeses ( or milk powder , milk etc). I buy some imported French and Italian goats milk cheeses and indulge !

This link explains the different caseins quite well.

http://www.frot.co.n...basics/milk.htm

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#5 Piccolo

Piccolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:20 AM

Powerbraid

I am very sensitive to casin (sp). I eat goat yogurt about once a week. I have also had buffolo yogurt. That is made from the whole milk and is very high fat. I cannot touch any cow milk.

Susan
Dairy/Cesain free Oct. 2005
Gluten free June 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: