Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

New Diagnosis Of Celiac Disease, Just Out Of Hosp.

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 cyndeegreen

cyndeegreen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:58 PM

Hello,
My name is Cindy. I just got out of the hospital on Tuesday. I was diagnosed with Celiac disease after a biopsy revealed why my body was going growing crazy.
I have lost a ton of weight and have been having problems keeping food "in". This after just two months ago I had a partial thyroidectomy due to a neoplasm and thyroiditis.
I'm wondering if there is a relationship between the two problems.
Regardless, I am grateful we've found out about the wheat allergy, and I'm ready to be wheat free.
I'd appreciate any suggestions on food recipes. There is an alarming amount of "flour" choices. I live in a very rural part of Kansas and specialty items need to be ordered on-line. Advice on steering clear of the pitfalls would be very, very welcome.
I was in the hospital for 5 days, but I am still tired and my stomach is still not very happy. It probably didn't help that for breakfast I was given cream of wheat (they though it was cream of rice!) and then the rice crispies were not gluten free....ugh... :o) Live and Learn!!!
Somedays, I wonder (as do my family and friends) if I'm EVER going to feel better.
Thanks for listening, and thank you for your help.
Cindy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_dlf1021_*

Guest_dlf1021_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2004 - 11:42 AM

Cindy,
Congratulations on your diagnosis! Hopefully this will finally be a turning point for you and you will begin to feel better. I can definitely empathize with you on always seeming to feel ill- out of the 18 years of my life, I've been so ill with what the've always called "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" that I can't even remember a time in my life when I wasn't always feeling ill. After numerous doctors, an 8 day stay in the hospital, 4 endoscopies, a colonoscopy, removal of my gallbladder, and another two years of waiting, they FINALLY diagnosed gluten intolerance. After just two weeks on the diet, I already feel as though I've found the part of me that has been missing for the past 13 years.
To address your question...I've found a few sites with recipes, as well as some very good books, and a couple of online stores that may be of help to you...

Savory Plate- Recipes

Gluten Free Pantry- Online Shopping

Gluten Solutions- More Online Shopping

Excellent list of Gluten Free items

Live Journal Community dedicated to sharing recipes and information about Celiac

Gluten Free Recipe Book Found @ Borders.com

I hope this helps! Good luck!

#3 cyndeegreen

cyndeegreen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:26 PM

Deb,
WOW!!! Thank you so much for the links. I'm off to surf on them!
Is it common for celiacs to have to have their gallbladders removed? Mine was removed 2 years ago....
Thank you again for the well wishes and information!
Cindy

#4 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 03:32 PM

Hi Cindy,

Yes, it is common for Celiacs to have gallbladder disease and have their gallbladders removed. Soem doctors, if they find the celiac disease before they diagnose gallbladder disease, will wait a while before removing it to see if the gluten-free diet will help the gallbladder fix itself. Unfortunately for most of us, the gallbladder was removed before they found the celiac disease. Mine was removed 4 1/2 years ago, and I found out about Celiac about 2 1/2 years ago, finally diagnosed Nov. 2003 by Enterolab and a biopsy was just done last month. I wonder if I would have been able to keep my gallbladder if they had found the celiac disease earlier, since I have had symptoms for over 25 years...

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the great links. It is the most I've seen in one place for getting food ideas. I have only been gluten free (for good this time!) for 18 days. I am very knowledgable about the disease, but very new to the diet. The links are very helpful.

Mariann :)
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#5 Guest_dlf1021_*

Guest_dlf1021_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2004 - 06:43 PM

Glad the links were helpful...I have no idea what I would do if it weren't for the internet. I never would have gotten diagnosed, that's for certain. I'm not sure how common it is for Celiacs to have their gallbladders removed--now that I've tested positive for gluten intolerance, I can't help but wonder if it didn't have something to do with it. I've only been gluten free for two weeks and even then only truly gluten free for a week or so--it's darn near impossible to stick to this diet unless you do specialty shopping, I tried--but I've already felt an amazing change.

I will continue to peruse and will let you know if I find anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: