2 replies to this topic

#1 holdthegluten

holdthegluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:43 PM

Does anyone have any intolerance to oils (sunflower,safflower,corn,etc.) How common is an intolerance of oils?
28 yr old Male
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007
Gluten-free/Casein Free
HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!
Married
1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth
" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

My daughter has/had problems with quite a few oils.

With her it's leaky gut brought on by metals (which grows candida).

If you had severe damage before diagnosis it may be best to eat as simply as possible. Some people have reported great results with raw foods.

If you continue to have problems after a year (where things aren't getting much better) then I'd suggest looking into other things such as metals, lyme, viruses, parasites etc.....

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 hathor

hathor

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:28 AM

Does anyone have any intolerance to oils (sunflower,safflower,corn,etc.) How common is an intolerance of oils?

What are your symptoms? Do you react to a tiny amount or significant quantities? Is it all oils or just particular ones? Do you react to all fats, or just oils?

I will feel ill if I have anything with a substantial quantity of oil in it. Tiny amounts don't bother me. The exception is olive oil. But I only really have it much if I go out to eat and so it isn't my body coping everyday with the stuff. Olive oil also seems more natural than some of these others -- the olives are pressed and voila. Something like corn has to go through a lot more processing to get an oil out of it. Perhaps my body finds it easier to deal with foods that are closer to what nature has come up with and not something created by food manufacturers and their chemists and engineers.

Anyway, I've found I can cut down or eliminate the oil in many recipes. I never use oil to saute unless I have hot peppers (capaisin is fat soluble -- a water-based saute medium won't draw out the spiciness). And then I will only use a tiny amount.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00
Gluten free since 1/6/07
Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07
Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07
Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)
Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: