Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Cosmetics?

31 posts in this topic

Hi folks! Does anyone know what mainstream cosmetics and haircare products are considered to be safe?? Thanks!!

Twister2

Ads by Google:

Garneir Fructis for shampoo and Cover Girl makeup. :D

Are Pantene Pro V shampoo's ok?

I called Pantene last year and they told me that "all Proctor and Gamble products are gluten-free". I use Pantene, but I would recommend reading ingredients on other P&G products before buying. Once I picked up a bottle of Clairol Herbal Essences (Clairol is owned by P&G), and it had wheat protein in it.

Neutrogena has a list of gluten-free cosmetics, you have to call or e-mail though.

Lots of Burt's Bees products are gluten-free. I use their chapsticks and lipsticks.

Nadia

I have great news about lipstick! I found out that the ECCO BELLA lipsticks from Whole Foods are gluten free. It took me a while to get the information (during which I actually cried a few times, feeling totally unlike myself without lipstick,, and feeling like I was from another planet going around asking about cosmetics without gluten...anybody know the feeling?)...but the gal at Whole Foods was sooooo nice and helped me contact ECCO BELLA, and they were also great, and proud that their products are gluten-free. (I think there is one facial product that isn't, so if you need to know about that check with them)... I was using their lipsticks before I went gluten-free and love them because they have great ALL NATURAL ingredients, great colors, and great smoothness so I was real happy to get to keep using them. I also love their foundation and coverup sticks which are all natural, and give great results for my bad complexion days. Basically I love this company. Their toll free no is (877) 696-2220. They sent me a catalog of lipstick, foundations, eyeliners, mascara, skin care products etc. Again, I know the lip products are okay but double check on the others because there was one she mentioned as not being okay but I forgot which (sorry) let me know if you get extra info on that. Enjoy, Valerie

Mary Kay has cosmetics that are gluten-free, but they also have some that are not. We can use their lipstick, eyeshadow, blush, foundation, and waterproof mascara, but not their colored nail polish. I don't remember about their cleansers, but I think about half of them are safe. You would have to get your consultant to look up the ingredients for you. And a good consultant will go all out to help you.

I think MAC makeup is gluten free.

All lancome products are gluten-free

I have written to several mainstream cosmetic companies and received information which contradicts several earlier posts. There are gluten-free products available from Mac and Lancome, but not all are gluten free.

Here is information directly from e-mails I received from MAC Cosmetics, Lancom

Wow, thanks rindadas!

I just contacted Merle Norman Cosmetics, Ingredients Department (800-421-6648). I was told to avoid their Lipsweet plus (like a chapstick) and their Luxiva Ultra Lipcolor. Both contain gluten.

Tammy

Two ingredients to watch are Tocoherol and/or Tocopheryl Acetate which can be derived from wheat germ as well as vegetable oils. Most cosmetic companies are good about providing lists of gluten free products (I guess to make up for the fact that they don't provide it on the labels.

Mary Kay has cosmetics that are gluten-free, but they also have some that are not. We can use their lipstick, eyeshadow, blush, foundation, and waterproof mascara, but not their colored nail polish. I don't remember about their cleansers, but I think about half of them are safe. You would have to get your consultant to look up the ingredients for you. And a good consultant will go all out to help you.

Two years ago I purchased Mary Kay waterproof mascara and there was hydrolized wheat protien in it. Maybe they changed there formula. Just be careful.

Since being diganosed and then being asked if I have sensitive skin and my doctor informed me of cosmetics that contain gluten which I was totally unaware of. Well Since using CAlifornia Baby line has been a life saver I recommend this line to anyone. THe super sensitive shampoo/bodywash is perfect to use as a face wash for adults and the super sensitive everyday body lotion is great and I havent broken out. Also the Calendula cream is great too the line is available at Whole Foods.

Does anyone know about Victoria Secret lip glosses? I have been throwing old stuff out that contains gluten Thank you -Christina

I am new to this - just received my Celiac Disease dx yesterday. My symptoms are mild. Does anyone have any information about face creams? The one I use has Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract and Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract. If I apply it to my face and wipe off any that touches my lips am I OK to continue using this product? I really hope so.

Lancome's LE ROUGE ABSOLU lipstick line is the one that is gluten-free.

lisa

I am new to this - just received my Celiac Disease dx yesterday. My symptoms are mild. Does anyone have any information about face creams? The one I use has Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract and Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract. If I apply it to my face and wipe off any that touches my lips am I OK to continue using this product? I really hope so.

You need to throw that out and get a gluten free product. It is very easy to get that stuff in your mouth, simply by touching your face later in the day and then touching your lips and licking your lips. And some people react to products applied to the skin. Why take chances?

Here is a list of products/ companies that are gluten free and safe to use even if you have chemical sensitivities or DH. I have confirmed each and every one of these by email/ phone or internet within the last 10 months. The hair and skin products are natural or organic brands. I am not near whole foods so I do Sephora or Skinstore and online. My local store have zip.

Shampoos: burt's bees (not all) and LUSH (not quite all), Dessert Essence

Conditioners: Korres, LUSH, burt's bees, Dessert Essence

Hair Styling Products: Korres soft shine wax, some Phyto

Facial cleansers: burt's bees, LUSH, Sundari, Korres, 100% pure, caudalie

Facial moisturizers: burt's bees, LUSH (one or two are safe), Sundari, korres, juara, caudalie

Soaps/ Shower gels: burt's bees, LUSH, Korres, 100% pure, juara, caudalie

Body lotions: burt's bees, LUSH, korres, juara, caudalie

Make up:

Face- cheeks-eyes:

Bare minerals (huge post here), ALL of NARS (including mascara-- note, it is very hard to find mascara), most of Smashbox (not the mascara!) and 100% pure (except the mascara!) some Guerlain and T. LeClerc products.

Lipsticks: Chanel, some Clinique, some Lancome, some Guerlain and 100% pure, T. LeClerc.

I have written hundreds of emails. Some companies are great and some never give you a straight answer (I can give you a list of those). I figure that since my health is at risk, I am willing to pay more for a few safe products.

I think MAC makeup is gluten free.

Only some of them are gluten free. I emailed them and they said some were and some weren't so make sure to check

Howdy! I'm new here, but I thought I'd jump right in with a source for ya'll to find gluten-free makeup.

http://www.crcweb.org/Passover%202008/Cosmetics.pdf

Religious Jews refrain from eating and gluten products during Passover and many include cosmetics cuz as ya'll know it's pretty easy for some of that stuff to get into your mouth somehow, and besides, having it on your skin during that time isn't so great either. The rabbis are really tough about asserting whether or not the products are actually gluten free. I think they also might include corn, legumes, & soy in the ban, so these products would be free of those too. They update the list every year as companies change their ingredients frequently.

I just print out the list, head over to Walmart and shop! Takes a lot of the footwork, guess work, and hassle out! Nutrogena, Mary Kay, and pantene are my fave brands as they have many different products that are gluten free while still being good quality, good color/smell/whatever.

Good luck!

Hello.

Some of these posts are really old so I wanted to post an email I got from Lancome 5/21/10.

May 21, 2010

Thank you for your interest in Lanc

Hi folks! Does anyone know what mainstream cosmetics and haircare products are considered to be safe?? Thanks!!

Twister2

I've paid

I've paid

Just curious.....If I am wearing lipstick that contains gluten (not a celiac patient) and I kiss my husband (celiac patient) then....would this be a problem for him? Also....as far as makeup foundations, mascaras, blush,etc.....If he is NOT licking my face, lol, he should not be affected by it...right?

Just curious.....If I am wearing lipstick that contains gluten (not a celiac patient) and I kiss my husband (celiac patient) then....would this be a problem for him? Also....as far as makeup foundations, mascaras, blush,etc.....If he is NOT licking my face, lol, he should not be affected by it...right?

Yes the lipstick would be a problem. Other makeup could be an issue, does he kiss your cheek? If he does your makeup is getting on his lips. Sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry.