Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Enzymedica's Digest Gold Digestive Enzymes

4 posts in this topic

Ads by Google:

I used them when first diagnosed and after I visited the nutritionist. At first, they really seemed to help. Then I started feeling really acidy, so I quit taking them, and my digestion stayed fine.

A year later (about a year ago now) I started having big time problems - having to poop quite suddenly, never very friendly ones, usually while walking the dog and nowhere near a bathroom, etc. I went to the doc, nothing wrong. I started taking the enzymes again and got better. Not sure if it was due to that or was just a coincidence. Then I started feeling really acidy and weird again, and quit taking them.

So in general, my experience with them was good. They're strong. They're expensive.

I don't take any enzymes now, but eat about 50% raw, so theoretically shouldn't need them, at least at those meals. Good luck.

p.s. my therapist, who also has celiac, can't take any enzymes - they give him celiac related symptoms.

I made the mistake of getting these for my DH. He eats out a lot a we got them for him to take in those instances. I wish now I had never gotten them for him. They do seem to help with the GI stuff a bit but they do nothing for the neuro stuff he has. He keeps using them but I notice he jerks, twitches and falls asleep in the middle of conversations again when he gets glutened. Personally I wouldn't use them and I wish I had never given them to him. They have, I feel, made him much less cognizant of his glutening and because the upset tummy is relieved a bit he considers them to work. Unfortunately they seem to do nothing to help with the neuro type stuff which leads me to think they don't protect us from the autoimmune effects.

Also they clearly state on the bottle that they are not for the treatment of celiac disease, unless the label has changed recently. They may be useful for folks with leaky gut that don't have celiac but I don't know for sure.

I wonder if you're thinking of the Gluten enzyme one. The digest Gold has nothing to digest gluten in them...they are just a regular digestive enzyme.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Those could be celiac symptoms or they could be something else.  Just because celiac runs in your family, I would not jump to conclusions.  That could be dangerous!   For example, my niece presented with celiac disease symptoms.  She tested negative but they found that she has Crohn's (not that she can't ever develop celiac disease).  While a gluten free diet could not hurt her, it is not the cause of her Crohn's flare-ups.    I would not worry about his weight unless he is no longer on the growth charts.   There could be more related to his anxiety issues too. i would NOT recommend sharing prescriptions, especially on a 9 year old!  Dapsone is some pretty evil medication that can do some serious liver damage (but if you have DH or  leporisy, it might be worth the risk -- but I would think not for kids).  For DH, sticking to a gluten-free diet  is much preferred, but I will let one of our members who has DH comment on that.   Those with DH often do not test positive in blood work.  Best to get a skin biopsy (tricky on DH so read up). Please find a dermatologist  and/or a Ped GI who is celiac savvy.    
    • Canadian Celiac Association warns against Gluten-Free Cheerios, but is there good evidence? View the full article
    • So, now they have found a metal toxicity in my body along with needing to be gluten free.  For the toxicity, I am now taking supplements after and between meals.  This a good thing because it prompts me to actually eat 3 meals a day and in a timely manner and not just a grab on the go item whenever.  The down side is remembering to take the silly things.  I can honestly say how much a pain it is to remember to take the supplements sometimes.  Been on this regimen for about a week now, and I am starting to feel better and all my systems are getting thoroughly cleaned out.  The real test will be in about 3 weeks or so, as it is about this time I become more vulnerable to the neurological symptoms.  I actually did some research on metal toxicity and found something incredible.  The symptoms I had been having all fall under this problem.  This could also have been yet another contributing factor of why I needed to go gluten free. Just a thought.  One thing I did consistently find is that once the toxicity is taken care of, this would not take away any food allergies or gluten issues.  I had gone through a different detox program back in February-March, and the neurological symptoms I have been dealing with was magnified x10 it seemed.  Another praise in this regimen is that I have been virtually symptom free since taking these supplements.  A few episodes but very minor.   
    • I have not taken him to a dermatologist. I have dapsone, which I put on the rash, it always clears up. I have it for another family member. But then I started reading about celiac and all these dots are out there but not connected.  The next time he has the bumps, I am going to take him in. In the mean time, I am trying to find a dermatologist who understands the condition. I don't want my kid to have celiac. And I kinda feel crazy for thinking he may have a gluten issue but with it in my family and him having these other things, I want to be dilligent.   i will read up on the test you suggested. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond everyone.   
    • I tested positive to deamidated gliadin in August at a hospital. My old GI tested me using gliadin (the test listed on your result) in September and it was negative. Literally the next day, my new GI tested for deamidated gliadin again and it was positive (I was unaware the hospital scheduled an appointment with the new GI for follow up).  If you still suspect it, Google deamidated gliadin, print out the Mayo clinic lab info and circle the part where it says they have discontinued the use of gliadin in favor of the deamidated gliadin.  Has he seen a dermatologist?
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member