Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

I used them when first diagnosed and after I visited the nutritionist. At first, they really seemed to help. Then I started feeling really acidy, so I quit taking them, and my digestion stayed fine.

A year later (about a year ago now) I started having big time problems - having to poop quite suddenly, never very friendly ones, usually while walking the dog and nowhere near a bathroom, etc. I went to the doc, nothing wrong. I started taking the enzymes again and got better. Not sure if it was due to that or was just a coincidence. Then I started feeling really acidy and weird again, and quit taking them.

So in general, my experience with them was good. They're strong. They're expensive.

I don't take any enzymes now, but eat about 50% raw, so theoretically shouldn't need them, at least at those meals. Good luck.

p.s. my therapist, who also has celiac, can't take any enzymes - they give him celiac related symptoms.

-Sherri

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:17 AM

I made the mistake of getting these for my DH. He eats out a lot a we got them for him to take in those instances. I wish now I had never gotten them for him. They do seem to help with the GI stuff a bit but they do nothing for the neuro stuff he has. He keeps using them but I notice he jerks, twitches and falls asleep in the middle of conversations again when he gets glutened. Personally I wouldn't use them and I wish I had never given them to him. They have, I feel, made him much less cognizant of his glutening and because the upset tummy is relieved a bit he considers them to work. Unfortunately they seem to do nothing to help with the neuro type stuff which leads me to think they don't protect us from the autoimmune effects.

Also they clearly state on the bottle that they are not for the treatment of celiac disease, unless the label has changed recently. They may be useful for folks with leaky gut that don't have celiac but I don't know for sure.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

I wonder if you're thinking of the Gluten enzyme one. The digest Gold has nothing to digest gluten in them...they are just a regular digestive enzyme.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: