This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Elevated C Reactive Protein And Sed Rate

pat e

pat e Rookie

My c reactive protein is 13 mg/dl, normal is less than 5. My sed rate is 120 and normal range is 1-44.

Before I was diagnosised with celiac my sed rate was 54 and and my sed rate was 6. My biopsy indicated moderate to severel disease. My last biopsy was mild. Is this still related to the celiac ? I am negative for lupus and RA.

My hct is 11.3 and hematocrit was 33.8 and rbc was 3.64 All low. I was taking an mvi with iron a couple of times per week and the values came, but I had stopped and now the values are low. My cardiologist said I may not be following my gluten free diet close enough. My translutamomase was good in Nov 2007. My gi doctor ordered another level.

I am worried because I also have genetic hyperlipidemia. I am on maximum level of meds including crestor,

zetia and welchol. My last lipid level was 304 cholesterol and 249 ldl. These level and the high c reactive protein set me up for heart disease. My bmi is 24 and I exercise 4 times per week for 45 minute to 1 Hour.

My stress test with thalium came back normal and now they plan on a ultrasound of the heart.

If my arteries show 50% or more blockage, I have to go on hemi pharesis which is similar to dialysis every two weeks.

I admit to tasting a cake mix prepared with flour and wheat pasta when cooking for the rest of the family.

but in general I avoid pasta, bread.

Could it be make up, shampoo, or body wash? What is recommended?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

If your intent is to be gluten free, you're not ..... "I admit to tasting a cake mix prepared with flour and wheat pasta when cooking for the rest of the family.

but in general I avoid pasta, bread."

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The C reactive protein is a marker for inflammation. Since you are not really gluten free that could very well be the cause. You can't taste stuff, in fact most of us will not use gluten grain flours because the molecules become airborne and when you inhale them you get glutened. It takes 24 hours for all the flour dust to actually make it down to the floor and during that time you are breathing it in and injesting. If you are going to allow the toxin in the house you need to take precautions to protect yourself. You have come to the right place to find out how.

You do also need to check the items you mentioned as well as checking ALL meds you are on. Generics need to be checked with the maker with every refill and to get the most accurate answer you need to check them yourself.

There are a lot of really good gluten free breads, pastas, pizza mixes and premades, hamburger buns etc. There are also a lot of naturally gluten free foods although it can take a bit to get used to not being able to use a lot of convience or processed foods. Celiac is an autoimmune issue, in other words your body forms antibodies to it and eventually to itself in response to injestion. Even a very, very tiny amount is enough to get the antibodies flowing throughout your bloodstream attacking not just your gut but your brain, liver, pancreas, heart, kidneys, muscles and joints anyplace the blood flows through your body is open to being effected by the antibody reaction. It is not a lifestyle that can be picked up and then dropped for convience at times without risking some very serious outcomes.

ShayFL Enthusiast

You need to be 100% Gluten Free. No tasting. Hopefully if you can do this and get the biopsy to show no damage. That should be your goal.

Archived