Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Chincoteague Island, Va Or Surrounding Areas

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking for gluten free restaurants or places to do my grocery shopping in or around Chincoteague Island, VA. We're leaving tomorrow (Sunday), but I will have the internet for the whole trip hopefully. Any info would be appreciated. I'm insanely nervous. This is the first time I've traveled anywhere outside of Disney since being diagnosed 4 years ago.

Ads by Google:
I'm looking for gluten free restaurants or places to do my grocery shopping in or around Chincoteague Island, VA. We're leaving tomorrow (Sunday), but I will have the internet for the whole trip hopefully. Any info would be appreciated. I'm insanely nervous. This is the first time I've traveled anywhere outside of Disney since being diagnosed 4 years ago.

Hi Angie!

Here is a link: http://www.chincoteague-island.net/listings/Restaurants

Any broiled seafood should be good after talking to the manager/server about your needs.

People in this neck of the woods will plop hushpuppies or a roll on top of your meal (even though it may not be on the menu) so make sure that your server knows no bread products of any kind.

My husband always tells our waiter that I might not make it out the door alive if there is any bread near my meal. It gets their attention, but they watch me while I eat the whole time. :rolleyes:

It's a beautifu place and your kids will love the ponies. Have a wonderful time.

Hi Angie-

I have no info for you but have a great trip! Is this Annika's first? I bet Tori's excited :):)

Yes, this is Annika's first trip. Well, unless you want to count travelling to Florida in utero. lol

Thanks for the link Momma Goose. I'm really hoping that they can be accomodating. I haven' eaten out in months. I would hate to have to cook every single meal while on vacation. It would be nice to have a decent meal out. :)

Well, it has been four years since the question of where to find gluten-free food in Chincoteague was raised but - having just been there - I have information to share.

The only restaurant that comes up in online searches for gluten-free food is the Sea Shell Cafe - and I surfed the internet for weeks before we went to Chincoteague. So, early in our stay, my family ate there a few times. When you are hungry - and tired of eating what you brought from home - it'll do. However, I found the quality of the meals and the dining experience to be inconsistent. Lunch was better than dinner. They have a gluten-free kids' menu, gluten-free pasta dishes and gluten-free seafood dishes for when you are not in the mood for gluten-free chicken nuggets. They also offer a gluten-free chocolate cake for dessert, but I did not try it.

Now for the really good news: I found two great restaurants that had gluten-free food. They are Woody's Beach BBQ on Maddox Blvd. and Captain Zack's Seafood Carryout on Deep Hole Rd.

Mark at Woody's was extremely knowledgable about celiac (an immediate family member has celiac) and was warm, friendly and helpful in describing each item on their menu, its ingredients, how it was prepared, etc. Everything about Woody's is laid-back and so, dining there was one of the most relaxed experiences of eating out I have had in years.

I had their pulled pork, BBQ sauce, applesauce and cole slaw (which was really good and I usually skip cole slaw) and experienced no symptoms of being "glutened". Since it was a success - and enjoyed by the adults and kids alike - my family ate there more than once.

If you are looking for the perfect (casual) seafood dinner, Captain Zack's is your place. The staff was friendly, patient and went the extra mile in confirming that the ingredients of certain dishes were gluten-free as well as the food prep.

I had their boiled shrimp, fresh corn on the cob, garlic green beans and A LOT of hush puppies. (Made of cornmeal and fried in their own fryer.) My non-gluten-free family members ate practically everything on Captain Zack's menu and everyone was impressed with their meal. In the words of my seven year-old, "Captain Zack's is AWESOME!" It really is.

If you are going to Chincoteague, go with confidence that you'll find food. Bring what you need, of course, but make sure to eat at Woody's and Captain Zack's. You'll be glad you did.