This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

If B12 Improves My Chest/left Arm/left Shoulder Blade Pain, Is It Heart Related Or Brain Related?

littlelymie19

littlelymie19 Rookie

Hey everyone,

For about 5 days now I've been having really intense chest pain, left arm pain, left shoulder blade pain and occasional pain on the left side of my jaw. Of course, these are symptoms of a heart attack so I went to the ER the second night of this excruciating pain...but my chest xray and EKG were normal.

Along with this I've also had extreme nausea and weakness, with occasional dizziness. Basically, I'm couch-ridden. Everything gets worse when I move around. So I'm just chillin :)

But anyways, my doctor took me off of all my supplements when this happened, but now im slowly adding things back in . I've noticed though that after taking my sublingual B12, my pain and nausea get a little better for a little while.

I'm wondering, does that indicate that the problem is with the heart, or when the brain (neuropathy?)? I know you all aren't doctors, but I thought I'd ask because I know a lot of you guys have experience with B12 issues and deficiencies.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input! When it's the heart that may be causing symptoms, things can be a little freaky!

Hope you are all well!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The One Apprentice

Hi Lymie, I can sympathize with you! Right about the same time i was diagnosed with Celiac about a year and a half ago I began with a pain on the left ribcage, eventually it got worse and landed me in the ER several times, it went up to the shoulder, arm and chest and of course I was really scared, I've had xrays, EKG's and everything comes back normal. I was told it could be a hernia, who knows, might be worth looking into. But from my research online it all comes back to some type of neuropathy I believe it was called radiculopathy. I do notice that when i am hungry it gets worse, but that's because I have diabetes and it seems my body gets weak as blood sugar goes low. Either way, I would say that if you are responding to B12 supplements it sounds to me like it would be related to the nervous system rather than the heart, of course I'm no doc! just someone who's looked online a lot about left side pain ;)

AJ

fedora Enthusiast

you may want to see a physical therapist. They can evaluate you for misalignments. Mine causes pain in my left jaw(tmj), left side of back, left shoulder and left arm. I have all these exercises to do regularly and they help.

• 2 weeks later...
nanafur Newbie

How freaky, you are having the exact same symptoms I have had for a long time. Please let me know if you learn anything new!

My MD told me a few months ago that he thought the dizziness had something to do with a dumping syndrome where you stomach doesn't empty right causing too much blood to go to the stomach to aid digestion. I'm not sure if its right but my dizziness does get worse when I eat a lot. I've been having TMJ treatment from chiropractor and special dentist for years and its helped with the jaw and neck pain but not for the shoulder, chest and side. I did recently get diagnosed with a couple of ulcers (they were bleeding a little and hurting a lot!). I can tell now that the chest, back, shoulder and side pain definitely get worse when the ulcer hurts so I've been thinking they may be related. My GI doc thinks I've had the ulcers for a long time so maybe they were causing the pain all along.

I just don't know what connects them all. I'm starting to believe its bacterial overgrowth or candida. I have been keeping a small food log and I can tell that the pain, dizziness and palpitations get a lot worse after I eat cheese but I just can't stop eating cheese. I have been diagnosed with a milk allergy so maybe its just the cheese alone, but I don't think so. My dairy cravings get worse every day so I'm thinking that the bacteria inside me is living off dairy. I plan on cutting out dairy to see if that helps.

I also looked up B12 in my vitamin book and it helps with nerve pain. YOu will be more prone to pain if you are deficient which most people with any food allergies or intolerance are. Shortage of B12 also causes fatigue.

• 1 year later...
nyctexangal Rookie

I have cosotchondritis (chest pain). I was just diagnosed with Celiac as well 2 weeks ago. I have the nerve pain in my hands, arms, and right rib cage and fatigue as well. Booo. I'm learning that when I take B12 vitamins, the pain is far less and I'm less fatigued.

I was taking 1500 mcg of B-12's and changed my daily vitamins brand last week and my pain has gotten worse. Just checked the label- only 80 mcg of B-12- eek! :blink: Headed now to get more B vitamins so that the pain will subside while I'm healing. yay! :D

Archived