Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Could My Terrible Beer Hangovers Indicate A Wheat/gluten Allergy?

• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

#16 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

So I am pretty sure it is not gluten - but should be something that is high in real ale, wheat bears, staropramen, UK bread but low in french bread (in france), pizza in italy etc. I have thought yeast or hops of some kind but I am not sure. I guess this might be slightly off topic for this forum but if anyone has any pointers or ideas it would be great.

What if it is a gluten problem? Reactions can be very confusing - I don't think it safe to dismiss getting tested because you don't react as strongly to certain foods. There are people with Celiac Disease that have little or no noticeable reaction to gluten, but the intestinal damage is happening. After it is removed they often become highly intolerant of gluten with severe reaction - your body is used to consuming/dealing with gluten - that could change if you completely remove it.

With the drastic difference between consuming beer and other types of alcohol I think it wise to be tested for both Celiac Disease AND Food Allergies. It is possible to have celiac OR allergies OR both. Getting the Full Celiac Blood Panel is important before removing gluten as it gives the best chance to be accurate, because Celiac Disease is an autoimmune reaction, not an allergy. If you remove the gluten, there is no reason for your body to produced the antibodies being tested in the blood tests.

Good Luck to you :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 emnoggz

emnoggz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

Reading this post caused me to register for this website. I'm 24 years old , and like smileen, I get the absolute worst hangovers from beer. If I drink wine, I'm fine. Very occasionally, I'll get a slight headache from wine, but if I drink beer, it's a whole other story.

Unfortunately, I've always enjoyed full bodied IPAs and other heavier beers, but within the last year or two, if I drink even three or four of these beers over the course of an entire evening (starting with dinner, and drinking water throughout the night), I pay for it the next day. Oftentimes, I won't even feel drunk at all (maybe slightly tipsy), but the next day I cannot get out of bed. I will vomit 3-4 times, and I won't be able to keep anything down until 7 or 8pm that evening. All after 3-4 beers. None of my friends / boyfriend can understand it. I literally have to lay in bed almost comatose with a cold wash cloth over my head until the evening. I am weak, shaky, and vomiting all day. It is miserable. It took me a while to recognize this connection between beer and this reaction (I always thought I just got really, really bad hangovers) because it was fairly common for me to mix alcohol types. It's realy only been in the last few months that I have started to realize that it is drinking beer in particular that is making me feel so awful the next day.

I've never been tested for gluten intolerance / celiac disease. However, I have been blood tested for a gluten allergy, and I tested negative.

Anyway, thanks for giving some potential explanation for my insanely bad hangovers. I've never met anyone who has as bad of hangovers as me, but your description of your day after drinking could have been written by me.

Thanks.

#18 TurdFerguson15

TurdFerguson15

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

You could have written my story!  My 3-day hangovers from drinking 4 beers and almost trips to the ER from it finally got me into the dr and I got tested for food allergies.  Fast forward 2 years later and here I am in a Celiac forum.  You may not have Celiac but you could have a gluten intolerance or sensitivity or maybe it's the hops in the beer.  But, something is definitely wonky!  What I have learned is just because you are asymptomatic, doesn't mean you aren't damaging your intestines.  If you are covered, get it checked out.  Glad to hear you can drink something, I gave it all up over a year ago (I don't trust gluten-free products or alcohol).  I'm the permanent DD...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: