This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Restaurants Lake George, Ny Area

tls527

tls527 Rookie

My family and I will be traveling to Lake George, New York in the summer for vacation. I was wondering if anyone knew of any restaurants in Lake George or the surrounding areas that have a gluten free menu or will accomodate gluten free.

Thanks,

Tina in New Jersey

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flourgirl Apprentice

There are several active groups in the area...possibly Albany. My advice would be to contact them for the latest info. There is a page here that lists groups where you can get contact info.

tls527 Rookie

Thank you for the info, I'll try that.

Tina in NJ

• 2 weeks later...
TedL Newbie

I'm going there too in late June. Here are a few tips for you:

S.J. Garcia's on Canada Street has several gluten free items. Sadly, I'm not a big fan of Mexican food. Heres's the link:

Open Original Shared Link

Several of the national chains with gluten free menus are also around:

Pizzeria Uno in Queensbury (only a 10 minute drive away):

Outback in Queensbury

There's also a Carrabba's about 45 miles away in Latham, but that's a little far to go for dinner unless it's on the way for you.

In my pre-gluten-free days, I had a good experience at the Log Jam Restaurant, which is a familiy steakhouse. They claim to accomodate special dietary needs, so it might be worth a try:

I also had some great breakfasts at The Silo and Sutton Marketplace. Not sure how Celiac friendly they are, but they do have quaint country stores that are worth checking out regardless:

Have a great trip!

Regards,

Ted (in NY)

tls527 Rookie

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the info.

I knew about Garcia's but we fell the same way not crazy about mexican

My husband and I went to the LogJam last year it was great.

There's also an Outback in Lake George by the Walmart. This is the second year we are going there just wanted to check and see if there is anything different that we didn't know about.

Thanks again,

Tina in NJ

• 2 weeks later...
TedL Newbie

Out of curiousity, what did you get at the Log Jam that was gluten free? I imagine they could probably make a steak gluten-free without too much trouble.

Regards,

Ted

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

there are a few places in Saratoga Springs (about 25-30 min/20 miles from Lake George) if you want to venture outside of the immediate LG area. One place is Nunzio's - it's really just a deli but they make an awesome gluten-free pizza. (it's a million times better than the gluten-free pizza from Unos.) you can eat in or get it to go but you have to give them an hours notice so they can make the pizza for you. (it's fresh each time, not frozen or anything).

a local newspaper blogger has written about them: Open Original Shared Link

also in Saratoga, the Circus Cafe offers a gluten-free menu: Open Original Shared Link

as does Wheatfields (ironic name, right?) Open Original Shared Link

have fun in Lake George!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tls527 Rookie

Hi Ted,

It's my husband who is gluten free. He got a very large steak, baked potato, and vegetable and also salad at the LogJam Restaurant and didn't have any problems at all.

Tina NJ

evo1100 Newbie

KD's Fish Fry is the best! Google KD's. They have great food at low prices and Dawn's dedication is remarkable. They have alot more than seafood and they have packaged treats and meals to go. Very tasty stuff.

TedL Newbie

That's great. Thanks! I figured steak was safe, but I'll still make sure to ask them not to put anything on it.

Regards,

Ted

• 1 month later...
TedL Newbie

I went to Lake George in late June for 2 nights and figured I'd post a follow-up regarding my meals. The rest of my family eats gluten, so I'm only mentioning what I had for the most part:

We ate dinner at the Log Jam (Open Original Shared Link) on the first night and I had the "Natural" rib-eye steak with a big baked potato. The steak only has olive oil, salt and pepper on it and was quite delicious. Dinner comes with a trip to the salad bar, but of course you need to be careful when choosing items. Overall it was very good and I had no reaction at all.

Breakfast the next day was at The Silo (Open Original Shared Link). I got scrambled eggs, corned beef hash and homefries. The waitress was familiar with food allergies and she seemed to know what was safe. I didn't have any reaction, other than the usual slightly queasy feeling from greasy but delicious fried breakfast food.

Dinner was at Outback and I had the Chicken on the Barbie with another baked potato (plus a salad with the Tomato dressing). It's always good, but I never feel that well after eating it. I don't think I was glutened, but the sauce and salad dressing probably don't agree with me all that well in general.

Breakfast the next day was at the hotel (Country Inn and Suites) and I had fruit and hard boiled eggs at their buffet. The breakfast buffet was pretty impressive for a complimentary breakfast.

We then stopped at KD's Fish Fry for lunch on the way back. First of all, if you're in a rush, do not drive through Saratoga as it's very slow going. The better way to go is to get off the Northway at exit 13N by the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. It's a bit out of the way, but only about 10 minutes from the highway if you don't get lost (thankfully I had a GPS). We were there right around lunchtime on a Saturday and it was completely empty, so I'm hoping they get most of their business during the week or maybe at dinner time.

The food was amazing -- I had some delicious fried fish, french fries and incredibly good onion rings. My wife tried them and would never have known that they were gluten free. It was one of those times when the food tasted so good that I was afraid I was eating regular versions by mistake, but I felt fine, which is pretty impressive considering all of the fried food I was eating. My wife had regular fried shrimp and my kids had the macaroni and cheese triangles which looked really yummy. For dessert, I bought some gluten-free chocolate chocolate chip cookies to go, which were delicious. Really the only negative thing I have to say is that the ambiance could use a bit of upgrading to bring it up to the level of the food. I'd love to see KD work on frozen versions of the fried food to sell in supermarkets, but I don't know how likely that really is.

Regards,

Ted (in NY)

• 3 weeks later...
dmarie12833 Newbie

Hi Ted, so happy to hear you found us and that you enjoyed it so much. Just wanted to let you know I am working on shipping although it will be direct to the customer rather than in a grocery store. My kitchen is too small to produce for a chain store. I am looking into supplying food co-ops in the tri state area up here also. Keep a eye on the website daffifoods.com Dawn aka Kitchen Witch of KD's Fish Fry.

Archived