Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

How Did You Find Out You Were Gluten Intolerant?

7 posts in this topic

hi,

I think gluten my be the reason why i suffer from constipation, bloating, and flatulence. Well, i just took the test for it yesterday and have to wait from 3 days before the results. I was reading on the internet about how most postive results from blood tests are a result of SEVERE damage. Now what if it's negative but my symptoms are STILL related to gluten. I haven't been eating bread, or pasta but did have pizza the other day. BUt gluten is in EVERYTHING and i plan on trying the whole gluten-free diet even if it's negaive

My queston is......

What happened to you, or how did you know that you were a celiac or intolorant to gluten??

Thanks

Mel

Ads by Google:

Which blood tests did you have done?

I was diagnosed through blood tests. My tTG was more then double what it should be and I also have one of the main genes for celiac(HLA-DQ2)

You should get the celiac panel including the following:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

The tTG and the EMA are the best 2 tests for celiac...they are very specific. The IgA and IgG are not as reliable and should not be done by themselves to rely on alone.

If these tests you have done come back negative, gluten could still be your problem. You could just have an intolerance that has not progressed to celiac yet but it very well could. Listen to your body.

Do not go gluten free until after testing because this will interfere with test results.

Many people go about it different ways. Some people get the blood tests, others biopsy, some do the dietary challenge, and many do a combination or all of the different tests. You can also test to see if you have the celiac gene. It's best to decide with your doctor what is the best route for you. I personally, had one positive blood test (tissue transglutamase), a postive biopsy, and felt almoat 100% better after about 1 year on the gluten-free diet.

I was diagnosed by blood test, primarily the EMA. I was feeling horrible all of the time. It has not been a week yet for me gluten free, but I am feeling a little better already. Hope your results help you out.

I had positive blood work and a biopsy.

I was finally diagnosed with non-celiac gluten intolerance. My biopsy was negative, but my bloodwork was positive and everything has been positive with my dietary change. I went from having an athletic, lean body, to being absolutely bloated all of the time, fatigue, extremely gassy.... the list goes on. I basically knew after gaining 12 lbs overnight one time that something was wrong. I told my doctor I think it had something to do with all of the wheat I was eating, because that seemed to make it that much worse, so she did the IgG /IgA blood test and it was emphatically positive. I basically just knew from the way gluten made my body morph.

:o Okay,

My results are postive but not serious the secretary said. The norm (Igg) is 20 she said, and mine was 38. She didn't seem too knowledgeable and I was shopping at the time so their gonna get back to me. She didin't even mention anything about going on a gluten free diet or anything. Is 38 igg high?? thanks