arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Did You Find Out You Were Gluten Intolerant?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tlcmel

tlcmel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:49 AM

hi,
I think gluten my be the reason why i suffer from constipation, bloating, and flatulence. Well, i just took the test for it yesterday and have to wait from 3 days before the results. I was reading on the internet about how most postive results from blood tests are a result of SEVERE damage. Now what if it's negative but my symptoms are STILL related to gluten. I haven't been eating bread, or pasta but did have pizza the other day. BUt gluten is in EVERYTHING and i plan on trying the whole gluten-free diet even if it's negaive
My queston is......
What happened to you, or how did you know that you were a celiac or intolorant to gluten??
Thanks
Mel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:14 AM

Which blood tests did you have done?
I was diagnosed through blood tests. My tTG was more then double what it should be and I also have one of the main genes for celiac(HLA-DQ2)

You should get the celiac panel including the following:
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Total Serum IgA

The tTG and the EMA are the best 2 tests for celiac...they are very specific. The IgA and IgG are not as reliable and should not be done by themselves to rely on alone.

If these tests you have done come back negative, gluten could still be your problem. You could just have an intolerance that has not progressed to celiac yet but it very well could. Listen to your body.

Do not go gluten free until after testing because this will interfere with test results.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:08 AM

Many people go about it different ways. Some people get the blood tests, others biopsy, some do the dietary challenge, and many do a combination or all of the different tests. You can also test to see if you have the celiac gene. It's best to decide with your doctor what is the best route for you. I personally, had one positive blood test (tissue transglutamase), a postive biopsy, and felt almoat 100% better after about 1 year on the gluten-free diet.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#4 julie5914

julie5914

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:55 AM

I was diagnosed by blood test, primarily the EMA. I was feeling horrible all of the time. It has not been a week yet for me gluten free, but I am feeling a little better already. Hope your results help you out.
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago
Dx with Celiac and gluten-free since 6/17/05

#5 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:01 AM

I had positive blood work and a biopsy.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#6 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:15 AM

I was finally diagnosed with non-celiac gluten intolerance. My biopsy was negative, but my bloodwork was positive and everything has been positive with my dietary change. I went from having an athletic, lean body, to being absolutely bloated all of the time, fatigue, extremely gassy.... the list goes on. I basically knew after gaining 12 lbs overnight one time that something was wrong. I told my doctor I think it had something to do with all of the wheat I was eating, because that seemed to make it that much worse, so she did the IgG /IgA blood test and it was emphatically positive. I basically just knew from the way gluten made my body morph.
I LOVE JESUS!

#7 tlcmel

tlcmel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:15 AM

:o Okay,
My results are postive but not serious the secretary said. The norm (Igg) is 20 she said, and mine was 38. She didn't seem too knowledgeable and I was shopping at the time so their gonna get back to me. She didin't even mention anything about going on a gluten free diet or anything. Is 38 igg high?? thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: