Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Someone Explain The Difference Between Sugars To Me?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 Noche22

Noche22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

I don't understand the difference between all the types of sugars and sweetners. Can someone explain please. I am allergic to aspartame and also want the BEST for my body. So confusing.

Thanks in advance.

Christa

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

Sugars are simple carbohydrates that occur naturally and can be obtained from a variety of sources. The names end in ose. Common table sugar is sucrose.

Other common sugars include glucose, dextrose, lactose, maltose, fructose. All are gluten-free.

Some people, including some people with celiac disease, are intolerant to lactose and/or fructose. Lactose intolerance is associated with celiac disease, because the enzyme needed to digest it--lactase--is produced in the villi.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Noche22

Noche22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

Thank you for the reply. Now to find the best one for me.

#4 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

Thank you for the reply. Now to find the best one for me.

Also many people with celiac disease damage have 'leaky gut' syndrome. People with 'leaky gut' often get painful reactions from alcohol based sweetners, like sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, maltitol, etc.

Table sugar can come from sugar cane or sugar beets. Many people have cane sugar allergies, which can be diagnosed by ELISA (IgE, IgA and/or IgG mediated allergy) blood tests. Those with cane sugar allergies can often tolerate beet sugar and many other sweetners, including maple syrup, honey, agave and stevia.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#5 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

My personal preference is a blend of stevia and erythritol, I choose both because they have no impact on blood sugar which is important to me as someone with diabetes. Stevia comes from a plant, an herb I believe. Eythritol is a sugar alcohol. There are other sugar alcohols but they can cause GI irritation. Erythritol doesn't. There are several commecrial blends of the stevia and eythritol. One is Truvia. Truvia doesn't contain real sugar. Purvia is another. The packets contain dextrose which is sugar. That is a problem for me so I choose Truvia.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#6 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

i tend to use both Splenda & Truvia. and when i bake- i use real sugar and maybe some maple syrup.

technically (for me)- Truvia and SMALL amounts of maple syrup are the only things that dont have ANY effect on me. but i cant quite get my coffee or tea sweet enough with just Truvia.. so, baby steps.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: