4 replies to this topic

#1 Rowena

Rowena

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

So I was glutened recently, (had chili I made and froze, forgetting the chilis I put in it were not gluten free, so I rediscovered this), but I was wondering. Is it common to always have to go to the bathroom and/or feel like you are constantly wetting your pants when glutened?

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

I get the symptoms of cystitis or urinary tract infection when glutened. When I get a UA done it never shows bacteria but I have the sudden and constant urge to pee. I never connected it to gluten until I went gluten free and was on antibiotics for interstitial cystis for years. No longer need those but I do get that when glutened. I have read of three or four others here who do too.

But to be on the safe side, make sure you don't have a UTI that just happens to be coincidental with your glutening. Better safe than sorry.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#3 kathleenp

kathleenp

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

So this has me wondering...I am just discovering that I might be gluten intolerant and am not gluten free yet. For over a year now I have had a sort of discomfort in my bladder-it feels somewhat like I am getting an infection, but not as intense and an infection has not happened in about a year now. It comes and goes. I also urinate kind of frequently and can't seem to hold a lot. Now I'm just wondering if it might be a symptom...

#4 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:55 AM

This was one of the many symptoms I accumulated over time... this was one of the first I had. And 6 yrs later... I am gluten sensitive. So, could be... but not necessarily.
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#5 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:56 AM

Thank you for starting this thread! This symptom is how my hell began. Three years ago, I thought I was getting a UTI (got them all the time in college) so of course I made an appointment with my GP. He said "well I don't see any evidence of infection, but here's an antibiotic". I had no reason not to trust him. Of course, antibiotic didn't work so he gave me a "stronger" one. All the ladies know what happened after that. Because (I now know) my immune system was already compromised by the inflamation response, the two courses of antibiotics caused persistant yeast infections (have only been infection free for about a week or so at a time over the course of three years). I was diagnosed with interstial cystitis, but I KNEW that wasn't what was going on. Never would have put the two together though. Glad to know that I wasn't crazy. Been feeling much better since going gluten free - have only had a couple uncomfortable days in the two months since I went gluten free. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: