This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

This May Sound Like Tmi But Whatever

Rowena

Rowena Rising Star

So I was glutened recently, (had chili I made and froze, forgetting the chilis I put in it were not gluten free, so I rediscovered this), but I was wondering. Is it common to always have to go to the bathroom and/or feel like you are constantly wetting your pants when glutened?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I get the symptoms of cystitis or urinary tract infection when glutened. When I get a UA done it never shows bacteria but I have the sudden and constant urge to pee. I never connected it to gluten until I went gluten free and was on antibiotics for interstitial cystis for years. No longer need those but I do get that when glutened. I have read of three or four others here who do too.

But to be on the safe side, make sure you don't have a UTI that just happens to be coincidental with your glutening. Better safe than sorry.

kathleenp Apprentice

So this has me wondering...I am just discovering that I might be gluten intolerant and am not gluten free yet. For over a year now I have had a sort of discomfort in my bladder-it feels somewhat like I am getting an infection, but not as intense and an infection has not happened in about a year now. It comes and goes. I also urinate kind of frequently and can't seem to hold a lot. Now I'm just wondering if it might be a symptom...

etta694 Explorer

This was one of the many symptoms I accumulated over time... this was one of the first I had. And 6 yrs later... I am gluten sensitive. So, could be... but not necessarily.

ndw3363 Contributor

Thank you for starting this thread! This symptom is how my hell began. Three years ago, I thought I was getting a UTI (got them all the time in college) so of course I made an appointment with my GP. He said "well I don't see any evidence of infection, but here's an antibiotic". I had no reason not to trust him. Of course, antibiotic didn't work so he gave me a "stronger" one. All the ladies know what happened after that. Because (I now know) my immune system was already compromised by the inflamation response, the two courses of antibiotics caused persistant yeast infections (have only been infection free for about a week or so at a time over the course of three years). I was diagnosed with interstial cystitis, but I KNEW that wasn't what was going on. Never would have put the two together though. Glad to know that I wasn't crazy. Been feeling much better since going gluten free - have only had a couple uncomfortable days in the two months since I went gluten free. :)

Archived