2 replies to this topic

#1 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

I've just started a gluten challenge today after three years of being 100% gluten free. I have never, ever cheated. Long story short, I was with a very thorough doctor for another medical problem I have been dealing with, and after reviewing basically my entire medical history he thinks that the GI I saw, who does not have the best reputation apparently, was quick to say I had celiac without much evidence except that of "residual damage" on the biopsy (It had been taken after 6 months already gluten-free).

SO, three hours in and all I have is a raging headache, stomach pains and bloating... when I get CC'd, I usually have quite the reaction...what gives? Does anybody have delayed reactions? I always had a hard time tracking back what would "get" me, so maybe I react later... anyways, I'm terrified. Has anyone else done a gluten challenge?

PS. Good to be back! I haven't been on the forum since may :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:09 AM

I refused to do it myself, as I was pretty certain I had celiac disease. I was more than willing to go on the gluten free diet so I never received a biopsy or had an endoscopy. My symptoms are mild from CC but more noticeable from croutons or gravy. Never tried a whole piece of bread though (and I would never want to now!!).

Best of luck with the challenge. :)

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:14 AM

3 hours after your first deliberate injestion and you already have bloating, stomach pain and a headache so you are reacting but it may take a day or two before the D hits. Did you get relief from your problems when you went gluten free? What reason is this doctor giving you for wanting you to do the challenge and then retest? Is it mostly his curiosity or does he want to 'save you from such a restricted diet'? Since your being gluten free does not prevent him from looking for other issues I would want a real good explination for why he wants to retest. If you become too ill from this challenge make sure you let that doctor know.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: