Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Gluten Loading/challenge

3 posts in this topic

I'm looking for experiences from veterans who, for one reason or another, went gluten free for a good while (say at least 4 months), and then had to go back on for a challenge. I have a GI appointment in three weeks with new blood testing, and the goal is to get my antibodies as high as possible without literally or metaphorically killing myself.

I just ate a nutrigrain bar, which was a really uninspired way to fall off the wagon. Surprisingly, we have almost no glutenous foods in the house, so I'll need to go shopping. What worked for you, and what didn't?

It is my understanding that 3 weeks may not be sufficient time for gluten loading, to get an accurate test result ??

but maybe someone else can offer you their thoughts on what worked for them. I think most people say the equivalent of 4 pieces of bread a day for 3 months-- for a valid biopsy, but blood work may be different. (can you imagine making yourself sick for 3 months--ACCK! :blink: )

I would never do a challenge myself (I'd rather shoot myself in the head; it would be more merciful) <_<

but... if I were to do it, and if I'm going to be sick anyway, I'd go for the taste buzz alone and savor them all over again (and probably cry) But, you know what I mean--the things I cannot successfully recreate with gluten-free flours:

Baklava made with phyllo dough

and ...tons of it

Hope you do not get too sick while doing this. :unsure:

I think any doc who makes someone do this is a tad sadistic.

but maybe you are doing it for your own sake--for a diagnosis? In which case, I understand. Good luck!

The exact same thing happened to me - I was off gluten for four months then had to go back on for my biopsies. So, as a huge food lover, I made a rather lengthy list of 87 (not joking) gluten-y foods I wanted just one more time. Some of them were:

- yeast doughnut

- Steak Wellington with puff pastry

- anything with phyllo

- chewy bagel

- huge soft pretzel

- croissant

- cream puffs (but now I make them gluten free anyway)

- English muffin

- fish and chips - the proper British kind including malt vinegar

- the best homemade buns ever

- chewy ciabatta bread

- Welsh Rarebit

- big puffy cinnamon bun (I now make my own of these, too)

I obviously had many more on the list but this is a start.

I had no symptoms whatever eating all this gluten for four months. I rather enjoyed it! At that point I was still in denial that I did not have celiac. But alas - I do. And I am taking it extremely seriously. The biopsy results did it for me.

Sure hope it works out well for you! :)