2 replies to this topic

#1 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

I'm looking for experiences from veterans who, for one reason or another, went gluten free for a good while (say at least 4 months), and then had to go back on for a challenge. I have a GI appointment in three weeks with new blood testing, and the goal is to get my antibodies as high as possible without literally or metaphorically killing myself.

I just ate a nutrigrain bar, which was a really uninspired way to fall off the wagon. Surprisingly, we have almost no glutenous foods in the house, so I'll need to go shopping. What worked for you, and what didn't?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,544 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

It is my understanding that 3 weeks may not be sufficient time for gluten loading, to get an accurate test result ??

but maybe someone else can offer you their thoughts on what worked for them. I think most people say the equivalent of 4 pieces of bread a day for 3 months-- for a valid biopsy, but blood work may be different. (can you imagine making yourself sick for 3 months--ACCK! :blink: )

I would never do a challenge myself (I'd rather shoot myself in the head; it would be more merciful) <_<

but... if I were to do it, and if I'm going to be sick anyway, I'd go for the taste buzz alone and savor them all over again (and probably cry) But, you know what I mean--the things I cannot successfully recreate with gluten-free flours:

Calzone
Croissants
Baklava made with phyllo dough
and ...tons of it

Hope you do not get too sick while doing this. :unsure:
I think any doc who makes someone do this is a tad sadistic.

but maybe you are doing it for your own sake--for a diagnosis? In which case, I understand. Good luck!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

The exact same thing happened to me - I was off gluten for four months then had to go back on for my biopsies. So, as a huge food lover, I made a rather lengthy list of 87 (not joking) gluten-y foods I wanted just one more time. Some of them were:

- yeast doughnut
- Steak Wellington with puff pastry
- anything with phyllo
- chewy bagel
- huge soft pretzel
- croissant
- cream puffs (but now I make them gluten free anyway)
- English muffin
- fish and chips - the proper British kind including malt vinegar
- the best homemade buns ever
- chewy ciabatta bread
- Welsh Rarebit
- big puffy cinnamon bun (I now make my own of these, too)

I obviously had many more on the list but this is a start.

I had no symptoms whatever eating all this gluten for four months. I rather enjoyed it! At that point I was still in denial that I did not have celiac. But alas - I do. And I am taking it extremely seriously. The biopsy results did it for me.

Sure hope it works out well for you! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: