arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Are Headaches And Slight Nausea Symptoms Of Celiac?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jenn42

jenn42

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

My daughter started a couple months ago with headaches and light nausea only in the mornings. I had her tested for Celiac and it came back positive. I put her on somewhat of a gluten-free diet for 12 days and she lost 4 pounds. We went to see a GI yesterday and she's having an endoscopy and biopsy done next week. GI put her back on gluten and she's had no headaches or nausea today. She said she feels really good, better than when she was on gluten-free. This is so confusing. Could the blood tests be wrong?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

Tlhere are very few false positives on the blood testing. Her feeling better back on gluten could be entirely due to her having been going through a withdrawal from gluten, which acts like an opioid on the body; this withdrawal generally lasts for 2-3 weeks. Some people seem to react immediately to gluten reintroduction, for others it takes the antibodies a while to build up again and create havoc. I wouldn't find your daughter's reactions unusual. See how she feels at the end of the week. I just hope the 12 days gluten free has not affected the outcome of the biopsy. While full healing of the intestine takes a while, healing does start immediately upon withdrawal of gluten.

Headaches/migraine are definite neurological symptoms of celiac. Some people I believe get nausea along with headaches, but I am not a headache sufferer so not a good person to ask. Nausea is my principle symptom now when I am glutened, but this is a GI symptom for me.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Katrala

Katrala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

If she has celiac, the "healing" won't be overnight.

If the blood work was positive, it's likely she has celiac. Unfortunately, "somewhat" gluten-free isn't an option. It sucks, but "100% gluten-free" is the only solution.
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

#4 heidi g.

heidi g.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

I get migraines and bad headaches either early in the morning or late at night. Im always nauseous. It could also be from not absorbing nutrients properly from damaged villi. That is my main cause of my headaches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: