Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Rice

4 posts in this topic

Potatoes, although gluten free of course, still bloat me up big time. I wonder if that is related to the compromised digestion from the gluten? My carbs consist of Glutino bread and rice now, but the abdominal distension is improving. Anyone else encounter this, and did you find that you were able to digest potatoes better after being gluten free for some time?

Ads by Google:

Hi Barry,

I'm approaching my 2 year gluten-free anniversary.

While I still prefer rice, sweet potatos or squash vs. white potatos, I enjoy an occasional traditional white potato: mashed, double stuffed or home fries.

If you're having issues with white potatos, there are other delicious root vegetables to explore and supplement your diet. Rutabegas are good!

You could be reacting to them. Potatoes are part of the nightshade family, and some people don't do well with them. Nightshades include potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant.

It seems like I've read on here that some people with celiac find they have other sensitivites, too, nightshades included. You might want to try cutting those out and seeing if it helps.

There are lots of ways you can substitute potatoes in your everyday meals. I slip cubed turnips in soups and stews and my kids (who would hurl at the thought of eating turnips) have never noticed the difference.

I also like to "lace" my twice baked potatoes w/ mashed cauliflower. Can't use the cauliflower entirely, but I use about mix about half and half cauli and potatoes and, again, the unsuspecting rugrats haven't caught on yet.

If you can eat a little bit of potatoes, just not a lot, these tricks may help keep your tummy happy.