19 replies to this topic

#16 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

Before we found out my hubs had celiac every single time he drank beer he would get the most excruciating pain in his ears. He described it as a migraine in his ears. Now we know why.Posted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Pisqualie

Pisqualie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

Wow! I had no idea ear issues were linked to Celiac??? I have a ringing and feel stuffed in my ears - but not constantly. Mine seems to be connected to my anxiety level - thought it was TMJ as well or clenching maybe.

What a journey you have been on! I'm still trying to locate my pinpoint but I am so happy for you. You'll have to update us and let us know how things are going for you!!

#18 ageofrockets

ageofrockets

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Well, it's been almost 3 weeks since becoming gluten free. I'm still eating dairy (cheese) and sory based products (hummus) which after reading some of the stories on here I'm debating whether or not i should cut those out of myndiet as well. I started taking prednisone 5 days ago too in hopes of halting and possibly even reversing some of my hearing issues related to celiac. On the plus side the ringing has subsided some, on the down side however the hearing loss has not improved much if at all. I'll give it some more time, from reading other peoples experiences on here the nuerological symptoms of celiac can take weeks months to even years to sort out! tomorrow i see a gastroenterologist so i'll see what he has to say

#19 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

I just found this thread, and thought I'd add what I've discovered. I won't go into the whole story, but I've had issues with my ears, including ringing, for over 2 years now. Since I've been gluten-free for over 7 months now, the itchiness is thankfully mostly gone. But since I've had ongoing issues with ringing and swelling that weren't relieved with eating gluten-free only, I've finally figured out that I also need to avoid MSG and sulfites.

According to some information I found here http://www.msgmyth.com/ , it's not uncommon for those of us that are sensitive to MSG to also have issues with sulfites. I wish I'd have known that 3 or 4 months ago, but at least I know it now. Actually, I wish I'd have known all of this 30 years ago, since it's not the first time I've had issues with my ears swelling, etc. but the other times were short-lived in comparison. And tinnitus is a symptom for both types of sensitivities, in case that helps.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#20 Marie1976

Marie1976

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

What?! I have anxiety, and I can see how that could have been celiac-related all along (even though I am still suffering from it after being gluten-free for over a year), but hearing loss and TMJ? I've had both of these problems for years. Are these really caused by celiac disease??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: