Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Normal-Looking Colonoscopy And Endoscopy

5 posts in this topic

Just had my first ever colonoscopy and upper endoscopy yesterday and was just fine. I was told that my intestines look normal, but they still did a biopsy. I don't know enough about Celiac's disease, but does this mean I am in the clear?

Ads by Google:

Your biopsy samples need to be examined under a microscope. What's seen or not seen w/ the naked eye isn't enough to rule out Celiac Disease.

What tom said...plus, Did you have any blood work for Celiac before this?

You can also have false negative biopsies for a variety of reasons. If you had positive blood work you need to be gluten free no matter what the biopsy results. If you are done with all celiac related testing then go ahead and give the diet a strict try for at least a couple months to see if it helps the issues you are having.

I have not had any blood tests for Celiac's, but did request my doctor to run them. He wants to see first how the biopsy turns out. I would have to say though (even if it is in my head), on the days when I eat a lot of wheat-based foods, I'm nauseous, have loose stool or diarrhea, and get indigestion. Ugh. Had a lot today and wish I hadn't. Thanks for all the input!

:-)