4 replies to this topic

#1 Macmuireadhaigh

Macmuireadhaigh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

So, since I've lost a good eight pounds from obvious steatorrhoea, which has been confirmed, aside from taking Creon, what kind of things should I do to help myself gain/keep weight? Less sugar consumption? Less fat intake? I have started eating more, and increasing my caloric intake to between 2500-3000 calories a day. I already have a fast metabolism, and I started out slim to start with. Originally I weighed 140, now I only weigh 132. I'm trying my best to keep this weight and gain more, but it's getting frustrating because I don't know even with the caloric increase if I'm actually gaining anything. Is there something you guys did to help this? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Are you newly gluten-free? If so, it can take time for your body to heal and begin to absorb nutrients properly. Once this happens weight/metabolism issues tend to equalize - those that lost weight gain and those that gained weight lose - for now keep up the caloric intake and increase good fats from fish, nuts, avocado, coconut, olive oils, etc.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

My son and I both lose weight every time we have problems with one or more of our foods bothering us. We have to do diet challenge/elimination studies to figure out what it is. We both get pretty obvious symptoms so that helps figure it out. Then we consume like crazy to get the weight back up again. Whole milk and whole milk yogurt helps a lot. I've just been through that and regained the 5 lbs that I had lost. My son could still use another 10 or so.

Do you just need to heal more to get rid of the steatorrhoea, or do you need to make dietary changes?

#4 akate

akate

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Like GottaSki said, it could be because you're new to the diet (if you're new to it). I've been gluten free for almost two years now and have only started putting weight back on, except for some silly reason, its going all to my stomach :angry:
It'll definitely take some time, especially if you have a fast metabolism. I have one too, which could be why I took so long to put the weight on.

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Eat plenty of meats, eggs, avocadoes, fish, and nuts. I don't suggest sugar and carbs because they can cause other problems.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: