Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Nausea/indigestion With A Lot Of Other Foods

6 posts in this topic

I just found out about my Celiac about a month ago and have been adjusting fairly well to the gluten-free diet and, for the most part, am feeling much better.

However, I'm getting REALLY bad nausea and upset stomach (diarrhea, exhaustion, acid reflux) whenever I eat a lot of different food that don't have gluten. I haven't really been glutened except for a few times there was a dirty pot or my roommate left crumbs out and I had severe cramping and bloating that doesn't feel like this does. I'm writing this after having eaten some gluten-free mac and cheese that I made last night, that also made me feel incredibly ill then but I thought it was just because I had a long day. None of the ingredients are spoiled and I checked for CC. All that was in it was corn noodles, Smart Balance light, cheddar cheese, Bob's gluten-free flour, milk, chex, and salt/pepper. Could it be that I have lactose intolerance? I understand that's fairly common amongst us. Is it just that those with Celiac are just oftentimes ill by things? I'm new to this, so I'd really appreciate the help.

Ads by Google:

Welcome!

It could be an issue with lactose.

You said you are fairly new to celiac disease and the diet. If your body was damaged by celiac disease, your intestine will not heal overnight. My nausea and vomiting continued for several weeks after going gluten-free. It was about three months before I was generally symptom-free.

Hi. This is my first time on here. I have been gluten free for almost a year. Dairy will make you sick for a while until your intestines heal. I couldn't eat it for months and lately it doesn't bother me.

It is possible that pretty much anything could be upsetting you. Milk, corn, one of the flours in the blend, something in the margarine, who knows. It is also possible that it is actually a reaction to gluten. Over time our reactions to gluten can change and become more severe. So even if you haven't felt this way in the past, it could be in response the the recent gluten. I can say for sure that it took months for the nausea to resolve after going gluten free for me. After a glutening it will take weeks for it to resolve. Until then all I can do is baby myself and take tender care of my tummy. Lots of ginger ale and bitters, lots of peppermint tea, a little fresh warm applesauce. (Really, it takes 10 minutes and is easy and idiot proof enough even for me.) Just be kind to your stomach until it resolves and try to have patience.

You could also try a (gluten free) probiotic and/or digestive enzymes supplement.

Keep a food journal to help determine if you have another food sensitivity,

I have been gluten free for almost a year. I was pretty laxidasical about glutening and have had my share. I recently felt so crappy my doctor told me I really had to get serious and cut out all the cross contaminations. Well this weekend I was SO careful while dining out but did have quite a bit of dairy ad holy cow, I felt like crap and my stomach was grossly bloated after. My point here is that I still feel crappy quite a bit. Days of indigestion as you describe and reflux.. I think I am sensitive to other foods, particularly dairy....but also corn, and other grains. I agree a food journal is a great idea if you can keep one!!