5 replies to this topic

#1 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Many of us on the forum have in the past, myself included, been somewhat scathing about the help rendered to celiacs by dieticians, and their lack of knowledge of the celiac diet in general.

Now, while I know there are many out there who are pretty useless, I wanted to single out for praise a couple of hospital dieticians who who were able to cater to my needs (with my husband's help) when I was not able to do so myself (being intubated and in an induced coma.) With my multiple food intolerances I had to be one of the toughest challenges they had faced. They managed to come up with a tube feeding formula (from reading the labels) that did not make me sick, and then when I was finally able to resume eating orally, the dietician worked out meal plans for every meal with me for every day I was in the hospital (all 21 of them) from what was on offer in the kitchen that day -- with a few additions and substitutions tossed in here and there, and she worked with the kitchen staff to make sure they understood how to prepare my food.

I later made a special trip back to the hospital to thank her, and she had a student trainee with her so I am sure that that young lady also got special training in gluten free (and other free).

This was in a hospital that has special diets for practically every condition you can imagine, EXCEPT gluten free. :blink:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

waaaait coma what when where :blink:

I hope you are doing better :)

At any rate, it can be a pain. I haven't had to stay in a hospital since i was a toddler (had flu really really bad).

I'm glad to see this :)

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Wow, that's amazing, so glad they were there for you at the right time.

I agree we need to mention good healthcare as well as bad.

Extra glad they managed to sort you out. This disease is unbelievable.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

Wow Mushroom, I hope you have recovered well. I agree with the kudos. Some are caring and knowledgeable. Just this last Wednesday, I was in the Hospital, the gal was bringing the tray cart in the room, another gal came right behind her her saying wait, wait. she grabbed the cart and apologized saying it wasn't double checked and was not gluten free. I had a new tray in 15 minutes from her personally. I was so impressed, I wanted to cry. She obviously took her job seriously and cared enough to run after my tray.

There are "Celiac heroes" as I call them and always thank them profusely. I'm so glad you went back to thank her. I'm sure you made her feel very good and feeling good is the goal.

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

turkey-hiding.gif

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the positive story Shroomie! It's neat when people can make things work out for us. I hope you are recovering well.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 simon_n

simon_n

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

Nice story! Hope you'll feel better soon!

My girlfriend is dietician and believe me, they focus on celiac disease, and other food intolerances, more than ever before. It will only get better :)

Nice you went to her again just to say thanks :) They love it and it makes them work even harder :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: