Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Hairloss After gluten-free And Iron Supplementation?

• Please log in to reply

29 replies to this topic

#16 designerstubble

designerstubble

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

@motorchicked
Hi Karen
Thanks for your story, it's helpful to see others with similar problems... Cushings syndrome... I thought that was more something someone got after having steroids for a long time (I 'm asthmatic)... Do you have the bloated face symptoms too? I guess pseudo cushings is just the symptoms?? I will look it up.
I think diet plays such an enormous part of everything... I've always known this but I have neglected my health since the birth of my boy 6 years ago. Lone parent, no money (gave up my profession to raise my child), lots of stress... Massive stress actually, and for a long while money went on bills and good food for my son. Thankfully now things are much better but hey, damage done.
I have been vegetarian, virtually vegan (only ate bit cheese sometimes), for 25 years. But you have to eat properly (not like me recently)... So I think I entered celiac phase already malnutritioned. I don't know how long I've been celiac, probably a long time. 6-10 years? Diagnosed 10 weeks ago (only by bloods), gluten-free 10 weeks. I've completely cut the dairy out, because of ongoing problems (nightsweats, aches pains, joints, hairloss etc) and because I too definitely believe in the raw diet! I went raw for 3 weeks before being diagnosed with celiac (I felt fantastic, didn't know why, obviously no gluten!) but when I resumed a normal diet again things really kicked off with the gi symptoms! I have a juicer too, I was juicing every morning until my eye swelled in hives after drinking lots of juice (possibly the celery?) but it put me off as I just can't cope with anything at the moment... I will get back to it and try without the celery. I eat seeds, rice & dried fruit for breakfast, I have rice milk too. I also eat lots of veggies, avocados, quinoa, bit of fruit and I have included eggs into my diet. I didn't really want to but I must admit that I am enjoying them considering my diet so restricted. So I've cut out dairy, caffeine, sugar (I have one square of high quality choc per week!).
My stomach pain has gone mostly, I only get the occasional mild twinge, the last ache/joint pain I had was about a week ago and was very mild... I cut all these things out 3 weeks ago, and I think it probably took 10days to feel a real difference.

I just wonder if this means I have leaky gut? Not even sure what the symptoms are...
Love to know how you get on with you blood work after following the diet. There are so many people eating raw now, I must admit I struggled a bit as my son has nut allergy (and lentils and peas, some fruits etc) so it was very hard to get any protein in the house!
I aim to eat 70% raw if I can... Better than nothing? Thank for your support, what country are you in?

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Wow nvsmom, your bloods are great then really! Good for you! I wonder then if being hypo is directly related to celiac or whether if you feel you had it anyway for 15 years perhaps it's a coincidence? I would love to know how long I've been celiac. My doc reckons I must have been for a very long time as my ferritin is so low. Hmmm.
I've actually been free of any symptom for 3 days now is a first for me (not even taking vit d yet!) but isn't it great when you feel normal for a bit?
As for the sunshine, I dont know how bad it is there in Canada, but it surely isn't any better here in the UK!! Grey grey grey, and more grey! We only have 6-7 hours daylight (if you can call it that!) at the most. Very grim! No wonder we are all deficient, let's all move to Spain and live the good life!
Thanks for all you help, really lovely to such support, cheers :)

I'm pretty sure that I've been a celiac my entire life; I know I've had symptoms since my early school days... I remember being doubled up on the couch with pain. Because I had no clue (and my doctor was clueless) I wasn't diagnosed until I was 38. I think it's possible that living as an untreated celiac caused the thyroid problems to show up, or at least appear earlier, as well as cause my ITP.

I'm sooo glad you are feeling better this weekend! I hope it continues for you and this was just a blip. :)

We not as far north as you but because we're away from the ocean we are a lot colder. It was -25C with the windchill today but with the wind comes clear bright skies so it makes the day more cheerful... There are some advantages to living in a semi-arid prairie! LOL ;)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

nvsmom..where are you located? I'm in Manitoba.

#19 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

Wow nvsmom, your bloods are great then really! Good for you! I wonder then if being hypo is directly related to celiac or whether if you feel you had it anyway for 15 years perhaps it's a coincidence? I would love to know how long I've been celiac. My doc reckons I must have been for a very long time as my ferritin is so low. Hmmm.
I've actually been free of any symptom for 3 days now is a first for me (not even taking vit d yet!) but isn't it great when you feel normal for a bit?
As for the sunshine, I dont know how bad it is there in Canada, but it surely isn't any better here in the UK!! Grey grey grey, and more grey! We only have 6-7 hours daylight (if you can call it that!) at the most. Very grim! No wonder we are all deficient, let's all move to Spain and live the good life!
Thanks for all you help, really lovely to such support, cheers :)

Haha. To Spain, Sunshine and Luxerious Hair!

#20 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

Oh yes, luxurious hair pleeeease! And a little holiday in Spain would be very nice... If only. Will have to make do here though and keep cheery with you guys instead ;)

Nvsmom omg, -25!! Respect! Glad you're having a bright day tho, makes a difference... Also can't believe you've been undiagnosed for so long, terrible pity that this happens.

Onwards and upwards, thanks lovely people, may our hair grow thick and strong. Would appreciate any updates if you ever have any :)

Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

#21 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

nvsmom..where are you located? I'm in Manitoba.

Southern Alberta... so we don't get as cold as you but we're so close to the mountains that we get less than 3 months of frost free days a year. LOL We can Winnipeg "Winterpeg"... I can't imagine those cold Manitoba winters!
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Definitely, DesignerStubble! Keep us posted on how hair and vitamin D is going. :)

NVSmom... I'm from Alberta and BC originally. Winnipeg's winters are killing me. :)

#23 bumblebee_carnival

bumblebee_carnival

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

I had quite a bit of hairloss when I cut gluten, too. It got really bad to where I was considering wigs. My vitamin D level was 21, but after supplements and sunshine, the level went up but I wasn't having any increase in new growth. It was crazy because I wasn't losing like handfuls at a time. It was just a steady loss. Different things seemed to make the shed slow down for a little bit, but then it would pick up again and if I had any regrowth it was thin, weak hairs that I would lose fairly quickly.

Well, when I first cut gluten (14 months ago), I stopped my multiple vitamin, because I thought I was having a reaction to it. Then out of desperation, I started taking it again about 6-8 weeks ago. I've had a slight decrease in shedding, but within a few weeks I started seeing new, thick (!!!) regrowth. So, if you aren't taking a good multiple, I would urge you to try that. I take Alive! They are huge and sort of smell and taste like your lawn, but they are fabulous. Usually with celiac disease/gluten intolerance we have so many absorption problems that a quality multiple is a good idea anyway.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but since I lost so much hair, I bought some clip in extensions. They. Are. Awesome. My only regret is I didn't buy them sooner. I was afraid that since my hair is thin they would be visible, you know? But I put them in and didn't tell my husband. I wore them around for the day and never said anything. He never noticed and when I took them out he was genuinely surprised. I would just suggest getting a color wheel so the color matches perfectly. I don't wear them everyday, because the areas they clip in can get a little thin if you wear them too much. But I love them. The brand I bought was Easihair (the synthetic ones). If you search You Tube there are tons of videos of them in action.

#24 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Thanks bumblebee! Great post, just you tubed the clip in's, they look great! Gonna get some! Thanks for your help, it's so warming to know you're not alone... Not that I wish this hairloss business on anyone, really, it's so distressing.

Update: been on the vit d a few weeks, hairloss seems to have slowed, though I'm frightened to talk about it really as it seems to come and go? I have noticed (as I dye my hair every 6 weeks as I'm also going grey... Hurrah!) that there are a few little white hairs poking up. Though they seem to be mainly at the front?? I dunno why. If I was having some growth why only at the front? I've checked several partings and apart from a few little strays poking up its defo nearest the hairline.
Should I be excited??! Or just ignore!
Hope you guys are getting some regrowth, love to have any updates.
Hugs

#25 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Perhaps the growth is coming in patches, designerstubble.

I had all those new little hairs pointing out from the top of my head too. In a way, it looked hilarious and I had a good laugh at my appearance.

I would definitely start feeling relieved at seeing the new growth. Be excited!

Also, try eating more foods that contain zinc and copper. These two minerals are also connected to hair loss/growth. Raw pumpkin seeds are a good source for both minerals.

#26 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Pumpkin seeds!! I have been eating these everyday for breakfast since diagnosis! I didn't know that they contained copper, mainly eating them for omega's and protein. Woo!
Oh I hope you're right, and I will be excited. I've been looking in the mirror thinking I looked like a fluffy chick! But I thought that perhaps it was just because I'd lost a lot of hair mass and my hair was just weak and fuzzy (which is also possibly true?)
Thanks Kamma... The fact that some little hairs are poking up is encouraging. AND I've been examining myself again and have also noticed that other slightly longer hairs have grown as they are white and not dyed!
C'mon little hairs, c'mon! :)

#27 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

A fluffy little chick. That's exactly what we look like. Well said, you! :)

I think out of all my symptoms, losing my hair was the worst. It wasn't the most detrimental one healthwise but it really impacted my esteem and sense of value.

I'm super glad they're coming back for you designerstubble. Way to go on the pumpkin seeds - you were already doing things right. Keep chomping them down.

#28 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

Kamma you are so very right, by far the worst symptom. My confidence plummeted. I didn't realise just how much of me relied on my hair as I've always had lots of long strong hair. I feel very vain admitting it, that losing my hair is so upsetting, I wish I wasn't so vain. It's a shame we rely so heavily on our looks eh?!

#29 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Yup, I felt vain too. I understand. The flip of it is we went through it, felt the depths of despair and ugliness and climbed out of it reaffirming our (hairless) selves.

:)

#30 kate1

kate1

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Mines just starting to ease off with some of the shedding after a year!
I felt everything you wrote in that opening post.
I think calcium, vit d ,protein all played a part in mine.
Make sure you get enough calcium if you are dairy free i didn't ........but do now.
I eat eggs mpre now for the protein and the biotin.
.i think the calcium has really helped and more protein.
Try not to worry and stress about it believe me it makes it worse.
Google was my friend lol but i learned a lot about vits ,foods etc for hair loss.
I bought sulphate free shampoo , conditioners with strengthener.
Then tried not to think about it anymore as it was making me ill.
I was scared to go to the hairdressers but my roots (grey) were awful.
Vit d is important but mine was same level as yours and ive seen a lot worse.
The dose they gave me was massive and brought on a whole host of other problems.
Im from the uk too.
I think its the last thing you expect AFTER going going gluten free and thinking you are doing everything right.
As far as the vanity goes sad to say I am the same and its affected me really badly.
Take care and hope it soon resolves for you, don't forget it takes time for stuff to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: