4 replies to this topic

#1 Wenmin

Wenmin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Just last week I broke out in hives. All over arms, legs and face. I ended up in the hospital ER. I have been fighting with hives for over a week now, and I am not quite sure, but I think it might be related to nightshades. I looked up the topic and found out what nightshaces are. However, I am not quite sure if sweet potatoes are included in this category. I am having a hard time grasping the fact that I will have to give up a lot of the things I have adjusted to when I found out I had Celiac Disease. Now, again, things will change. What type of bread should I buy? What type of sweets will I bake? What type of crackers will I have to get? Everything I have has potato starch as an ingredient. Not to mention giving up all the spices we use here in South Louisiana, like the cayenne pepper, sweet peppers as a seasoning, etc. Can someone please help?

Wenmin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Sweet potatos aren't in the catagory, thankfully.

I had to give up tomatos because i'm allergic to them and anything spicy due to GERD. Its hard sometimes (i soooo miss tomato sauce), but not to bad. I'm nightshade light due to my allergy and generally only eat potatos on occasion.

Rice flour I have found is quite a good substitute. Corn tortillas can be used in place of bread. Others on here will have other ideas.

A good idea would be to go see an allergist and see what they think is causing the hives. Can't hurt at this point :)

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, potatoes are a big hive producer for me. I believe it's the lectins they contain. I trialled potatoes again, a small bite three days in a row, last week and ended up with atrial afibrillation so I guess they are a permanent no-no for me, along with all the other nightshades. Just might trial some tomato this summer just for verification :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hi Wenmin,

There are some KinickKinick products that are potato free. I think it's the hamburger buns but do verify with them.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 dreacakes

dreacakes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

I also don't eat nightshades, they give me arthritic pain.

Also, be wary of spice blends in things, a lot of them also contain paprika.
It's really best to eat a whole foods, home cooked foods. Ditch processed foods. And according to my own experience with my health, my docs recommendations and the extensive nutritional research I've done, avoiding ALL grains is best.

But don't despair! There is still a lot of yummy food you can eat. Here is a pasta recipe that's wonderful, and this website has really good grain-free baked good recipes too. :)

http://www.againstal...ess-meat-sauce/
Debilitating tendonitis in both arms in 2003, at age 23, declared "permanent and stationary" by workman's comp doctors.
Fibromyalgia diagnosis in 2010.
Mild hyperthyroidism diagnosis 2011.
Disc Degeneration diagnosis 2012.
Life long battle with hypoglycemia.
Gluten Free since 2010. On Paleo-type diet since May 2011.
Suffered years of brain fog, back spasms, nausea, and recurring connective tissue pain and injuries. After years of misdiagnosis, I did my own elimination diet and discovered a severe reaction to wheat gluten and casein. After going on a grain free, nightshade free, Paleo-ish diet, my symptoms are nearly gone, and I FINALLY KICKED THE BRAIN FOG!
Cheers to health! <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: