Do You Have Celiac Disease and Have Questions Or Need Help?
Join Celiac.com's forum / message board and get your questions answered! Our forum has nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS just waiting to help you with any questions about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. We'll see you there!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Brazilian & South American Recipes
- Peruvian-style Chicken Soup (Gluten-Free)
Peruvian-style Chicken Soup (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 11/26/2015 - I love a good chicken soup, and I'm always keen to try a style I haven't tried before. This common Peruvian recipe incorporates rice, corn, peas, and other vegetables, along with a bit of serrano chili for a nice snap. It goes great with gluten-free bread and a nice gluten-free beer.
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8-10 cups chicken broth
- 5-6 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into large chunks
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup corn
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon seeded, minced serrano chile
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- salt and pepper to taste
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
Stir in the onion, garlic, and serrano chili, and cook until 1-2 minutes, until the onion softens.
Add the chicken, and cook for 5 more minutes.
Stir in the cilantro, peas, corn, and red pepper; cook for 1 minute.
Add the chicken broth, potatoes, and rice.
Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low, and simmer 30-40 minutes, until the chicken is opaque and the potatoes are cooked through.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Chilean-style Chicken Stew with Pumpkin (Gluten-Free)
It's also a great way to make use of any leftover holiday pumpkin.... [READ MORE]
Peruvian Salsa de Rocoto (Gluten-Free)
The Peruvians make numerous kinds of delightful salsas.... [READ MORE]
Brazilian Fish Stew (Gluten-Free)
For anyone looking to turn a culinary corner into slightly more exotic fare, consider this wonderful Brazilian-style Fish Stew.... [READ MORE]
Brazilian Cheese Bread (for rolls, pizza and crackers - Gluten-Free)
Ingredients:2 cup Tapioca Flour (or starch - same thing)1 tablespoon Baking powder¾ teaspoon Salt1 cup Finely grated Cheese (I use Pecorino Romano for rolls and pizza.... [READ MORE]