Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
- Questions? Join our forum: Nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Brazilian & South American Recipes
- Peruvian-style Cilantro Chicken Soup (Gluten-Free)
Peruvian-style Cilantro Chicken Soup (Gluten-Free)
Celiac.com 12/01/2015 - This recipe for Peruvian-style cilantro chicken soup delivers a rich, flavorful soup that marries chicken with cilantro with carrots, sweet red bell peppers, yellow onion, a savory broth, and some chili pepper for a nice zesty snap.
- 1 pound chicken thighs cut into chunks
- 4 cups + 2 cups warm chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 small chopped yellow onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic + 1 whole clove
- 1 cup sliced fresh leek
- 1 large medium-hot green pepper, such as Anaheim or Poblano, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- 1 small hot chile pepper, such as Jalapeño or Serrano
- 1½ teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 5 small peeled potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2 ears of fresh corn chopped into chunks
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, thoroughly washed
- Scallions and limes for garnish
In heavy bottomed pot, heat butter over medium-high heat.
Add chopped onion, leek, bell pepper, carrot, and medium-heat chile pepper.
Sprinkle with a little salt, sauté, and allow vegetables to become soft. About 5 minutes.
Add minced garlic, cumin, and oregano. Sauté 1-2 minutes, until very fragrant.
Add 4 cups warmed chicken broth. Stir, then add in potatoes, corn and chicken.
Mix the following ingredients in a blender: 1 bunch of cilantro, 1 hot chile pepper, 1 large clove of garlic, and 2 cups warmed chicken broth. Once blended, add mixture to soup pot.
Once everything is cooked, add salt and pepper as desired, and adjust flavor to taste.
Serve with limes and garnish with chopped scallions and cilantro.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Peruvian-style Chicken Soup (Gluten-Free)
I love a good chicken soup, and I'm always keen to try a style I haven't tried before.... [READ MORE]
Chilean-style Chicken Stew with Pumpkin (Gluten-Free)
It's also a great way to make use of any leftover holiday pumpkin.... [READ MORE]
Peruvian Fresh Red Chili Salsa (Gluten-Free)
Pebre is like a Chilean version of what Mexicans call pico de gallo.... [READ MORE]
Brazilian Fish Stew (Gluten-Free)
For anyone looking to turn a culinary corner into slightly more exotic fare, consider this wonderful Brazilian-style Fish Stew.... [READ MORE]
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
In Celiac.com's Forum Now:
Celiac.com Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Forum - All Activity