This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Blood Tests Came Back Negative

Soccer-Mom2405

Soccer-Mom2405 Newbie

I had blood tests done last week and the results were made available to me Monday.  Doc said the tests were negative but genes were present and referred me to a GI for follow-up. 

Here's a little background.  I was diagnosed with IBS years ago and told to stay away from leafy green veggies, chocolate, carbonated drinks, and so on.  I didn't listen just dealt with the usual side effects.  A year ago, I had a cousin diagnosed with Celiac and began researching to help her mom.  I was shocked to see the similarities between to two.  All of my symptoms were the same as celiac symptoms.  I've joked ever since about being tested but never have.  After a month of low carb eating with no symptoms, I decided to return to eating what I had previously considered normally to have the tests done.  Everywhere I read stated to not change your eating habits before being tested.  I informed the doctor that I had been eating low carb and asked how long I should eat normal before being tested.  He said because I didn't completely eliminate gluten that I would be fine to have the tests now.  I waited a week be the effects became almost too bearable.

For years, I have lived with:

Bloating, flatulence, stomach cramps (sometimes very severe), diarrhea, constipation, fatigue, brain fog, noises from my abdomen after eating (embarrassingly loud), insomnia

Symptoms I wrote down after returning to eating “normal”:

Mouth sores, acne, restless leg syndrome, joint achy, irritability

Here are the tests results:

Name

Value

Reference Range

Gliadin(Deamidated) IgA

<10.0

<20.0 (Negative) unit(s)

Gliadin(Deamidated) IgG

<10.0

<20.0 (Negative) unit(s)

TTG IgA

<1.2

<4.0 (Negative) U/mL

TTG IgG

<6.0 (Negative) U/mL

Celiac DQ Alpha 1

05:01,05

Not Applicable

Celiac DQ Beta 1

02:01,02:01

Not Applicable

Celiac Gene Pairs?

Yes

Not sure exactly what this means other than, I see negative by most of the results.  His comments were "The blood tests were negative but genes were present.  Would see a GI for further advice".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

0range Apprentice

I have IBS, too! Is it possible you are having a false negative result? A biopsy would be worth pursuing in that case. Ts there anyone else in your family with celiac disease? The possibility of non-celiac gluten sensitivity is also a reality.

I'm also getting tested for IBD as the symptoms overlap with celiac.

notme Experienced

mostly everybody on here was 'diagnosed' with ibs - which stands for 'irritable bowel syndrome' which means something is irritating your bowel but they have no idea what it is.  

false negatives on the blood test are pretty common.  guaging your response to gluten-free diet is one of the tools doctors use to diagnose celiac/ncgi <but if you are either of these things you will have to be gluten-free.  no cheatsies  ;)

Soccer-Mom2405 Newbie

I am following up with a GI next Thursday. 

The only family member that has been officially diagnosed is a cousin about a year ago.  My mother had many stomach issues accompanied with many surgeries.  She was a diabetic, asthamtic, and a breast cancer survivor who battled many stomach issues from vomitting to diarreha daily.  She passed 7 years ago at the age of 58 and I've wondered if she had celiac.  My grandmother passed this year after being diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer.  Same as my mother, she battled stomach issues as long as I can remember.  Looking back after reading so much concerning celiac, it just makes me wonder if celiac could be tied to thier issues.

Lock Newbie

The same thing happened to me. I went on a "no carb" diet for about four months, and got the blood test. It is negative but my genetic test put me in the highest risk category for celiac disease and my EnteroLab stool tests are positive. I almost feel like the blood test was a waste of time.

Soccer-Mom2405 Newbie

I'm not sure what tests, if any, the GI will perform or request. 

From the research I've done on the internet along with this site, I feel I do have at the minimum an intolerance.  It just amazed me the difference in my gastro when I ate low carb.  I did find that if I injested too many sugar alcohols (the low carb/sugar free candies and bars) my symptoms would come back just not as severe. I can handle this but it does scare to think my son may be going down this same road.  His issuesare  the same as mine just not as bad right now.

kareng Grand Master

I'm not sure what tests, if any, the GI will perform or request. 

From the research I've done on the internet along with this site, I feel I do have at the minimum an intolerance.  It just amazed me the difference in my gastro when I ate low carb.  I did find that if I injested too many sugar alcohols (the low carb/sugar free candies and bars) my symptoms would come back just not as severe. I can handle this but it does scare to think my son may be going down this same road.  His issuesare  the same as mine just not as bad right now.

The sugar alcohols are a problem for lots of people - even those without Celiac.

Remember, for any Celiac testing, you must be eating gluten for a few weeks to get a positive result.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived