This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got My Bone Density Test Results Today

answerseeker

answerseeker Enthusiast

And I have osteopenia :-(

Anyone else? How can I strengthen these bones and prevent it from developing into osteoporosis?

I just turned 40 in July this stinks. When I got my asthma diagnosis my pulmonary doc said I had the lungs of a 65 yr old, guess my bones are too :-/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Mine was very bad at age 44 and much improved after 2.5 years gluten-free.  Slated to retest again at my five year mark.

Bone is replaced -- completely after five years -- live completely gluten-free and consistent/regular exercise will strengthen your bones.  

I also supplemented with Calcium/D3.

Of note...I had a very weak back for several decades...within the first years gluten free this improved and this particular pain has never returned.  Not certain...but seem to correlate with my improved bone scan.

answerseeker Enthusiast

Ok good. I thought bone couldn't be replaced. My hip hurts all the time and I started developing pain in my arm. Did you have bone pain?

cyclinglady Grand Master

I fractured a vertebrae 12 weeks ago doing NOTHING!  I have osteopenia too, but they suspect osteoporosis where my fracture occurred, but the bone scan didn't cover that area.  Am taking calicum and vit. D supplements and have been walking, but just started to run again, finally! 

To prevent it from becoming worse:  supplements and weight bearing exercise (walking, weight lifting, etc.)

You both are younger than me and I'm officially through menopause.  Not sure if my bones will improve much.  At least I was on HRT for many years, so the estrogen might have helped my bones from getting worse.  Who knows?

cyclinglady Grand Master

No pain for me except when I got the fracture.

TGK112 Contributor

I was diagnosed with osteopenia and then osteoporosis before I was diagnosed with Celiac. I am 57, post menopausal - take Vitamin D, Calcium, and Alendronate (Fosamax) - a bone building drug, and exercise. I don't hold out much hope of building a lot of bone density - I'm hoping at best to hold steady. After a year of being gluten free, I had another bone density scan - and was disappointed to see that I am still slipping - although it was just a small amount. I am hoping that after two years gluten free, my bones will no longer be losing density. Unfortunately - age is not on my side :(

answerseeker Enthusiast

I need to go back next week for a hip scan because I have been having hip problems since I gave birth to my son. (he is now 8 and it never went away) They are going to make sure there is no hairline fracture going on. It's hard to say when my bones lost density because I was just diagnosed celiac in July. For 8 years my hip has not been the same. It's weird because I would think it would have healed by now but I still get a lot of pain with movement or if I'm on my feet all day

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eers03 Explorer

Mine was very bad at age 44 and much improved after 2.5 years gluten-free.  Slated to retest again at my five year mark.

Bone is replaced -- completely after five years -- live completely gluten-free and consistent/regular exercise will strengthen your bones.  

I also supplemented with Calcium/D3.

Of note...I had a very weak back for several decades...within the first years gluten free this improved and this particular pain has never returned.  Not certain...but seem to correlate with my improved bone scan.

Hey, I'm curious...  I'm just barely in to osteopenia territory.  I'm a male, 33, was really skinny (140's) and a runner.  3-6 miles, 3-4 times per week.  I'm taking calcium w D twice daily.  I feel like my tendons/ligaments/cartilage are suffering some too.  I don't know if the soreness is the bone itself, or tendons/ligaments or the their connection/lack thereof to my bone.  When I went to mayo they wanted me to take vitamin D.  I'm taking the calcium on my own accord...  What can I do for tendon health?  Anything?  Supplements or stretching???  What have you heard?

eers03 Explorer

I fractured a vertebrae 12 weeks ago doing NOTHING!  I have osteopenia too, but they suspect osteoporosis where my fracture occurred, but the bone scan didn't cover that area.  Am taking calicum and vit. D supplements and have been walking, but just started to run again, finally! 

To prevent it from becoming worse:  supplements and weight bearing exercise (walking, weight lifting, etc.)

You both are younger than me and I'm officially through menopause.  Not sure if my bones will improve much.  At least I was on HRT for many years, so the estrogen might have helped my bones from getting worse.  Who knows?

I'm so proud of you!  That's really encouraging to hear.  I really enjoy running but I put in two miles the other day and my feet have been paying for it.  My feet have flattened some since my diagnosis.  I'm trying out some Dr. Scholls in my Nikes.  It seems funny for me to say that as a 32 year old man but, whatever...  I need some support down there!

cyclinglady Grand Master

I'm so proud of you!  That's really encouraging to hear.  I really enjoy running but I put in two miles the other day and my feet have been paying for it.  My feet have flattened some since my diagnosis.  I'm trying out some Dr. Scholls in my Nikes.  It seems funny for me to say that as a 32 year old man but, whatever...  I need some support down there!

Thanks!  I'm running 3.4 miles every other day, but still not on my bike.  You should replace your shoes or at least the insoles every six months to a year.   When your knees/feet start to hurt, you typically need new shoes.  I stock up on my favorite shoes when they are on sale or the model year has been discontinued.  Make sure your shoes fit your feet.  You should be evaluated by an expert (e.g. running store) where they'll put you on a treadmill and watch your gait, etc.  The size should be 1/2 size longer to allow for running up and down hills.  I also pick a brand like has plenty of toe room (more boxy).  Your Nikes run really narrow.  I can't wear them even though I have an average width.  

I'm luckily a neutral runner (wear patter on bottom of shoe wears evenly,) but if your wear out either side faster your are either an over-pronator or under-pronator.  You'll need a shoe that addresses those issues.  

That might help your feet/knees.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Hey, I'm curious...  I'm just barely in to osteopenia territory.  I'm a male, 33, was really skinny (140's) and a runner.  3-6 miles, 3-4 times per week.  I'm taking calcium w D twice daily.  I feel like my tendons/ligaments/cartilage are suffering some too.  I don't know if the soreness is the bone itself, or tendons/ligaments or the their connection/lack thereof to my bone.  When I went to mayo they wanted me to take vitamin D.  I'm taking the calcium on my own accord...  What can I do for tendon health?  Anything?  Supplements or stretching???  What have you heard?

Are you getting enough Vit. D?   I take more D on top of my Calicum supplements (1500 mg./day per doc).  I think I remember that you had pretty bad intestinal damage (a little worse than mine), so more at this time, might be better for the next year or so.

GottaSki Mentor

Hey, I'm curious... I'm just barely in to osteopenia territory. I'm a male, 33, was really skinny (140's) and a runner. 3-6 miles, 3-4 times per week. I'm taking calcium w D twice daily. I feel like my tendons/ligaments/cartilage are suffering some too. I don't know if the soreness is the bone itself, or tendons/ligaments or the their connection/lack thereof to my bone. When I went to mayo they wanted me to take vitamin D. I'm taking the calcium on my own accord... What can I do for tendon health? Anything? Supplements or stretching??? What have you heard?

I had very weak tendons/ligaments my entire life...trick knees that would pop out if the wind blew the wrong way...very weak ankles...etc. I was a long listance runner until my early 20s when my knees would no longer allow running. Was able to ski all these years with tight patella straps....I still use them for skiing, but all of my joints have improved gluten free at about the same time as back/bones. I do still have joint/muscle pain from AI flares, but still have much more solid joints if that makes sense. When not flaring I can walk, bike, ski, hike and even jog...wouldn't quite say I'm back to running but remain hopeful.

I'm guessing your tendons/ligament connections can improve too given time gluten-free along with supplementing D and Cal. Just be careful not to overdo...if your knees have pain....maybe jump on a bike until things tighten up?

Hang in there :)

eers03 Explorer

Good call...  I'm curious...  Do you consume alcohol at all?  I'm wondering how much that can slow my recovery...  3 once or twice a week?  I've dialed it back to about once a week but I'm wondering if I should dial that back as well.  Yeah, just trying to figure this out.  Last night I tossed a lot.  My sleep was fine but if I tried laying on my side, my ribs would start to ache or feel funny so I had to pretty much just lay on my back.  I wonder if some light muscle exercises might tighten things up a smidge and take some pressure off of my frame...

cyclinglady Grand Master

I stopped drinking after my diagnosis in March.  It didn't agree with me.  Started up at the end of summer, but just one drink -- rarely.  That's because no one else drinks in my immediate family.  I drink more on vacation.  Anyway, I'd worry more about soda pop.  It's not good for the bones.  We banned it from our house over a decade ago.  

I read a little bit about how long does it take for an astronaut to recover bond density.  From my hurried research, I found that it takes a year or more and those folks are healthy to begin with.  So, Gotta Ski's comments about 2.5 years or more  for improvement seems right on the mark providing we all stay on a gluten-free diet.  It's worse though if you're old like me!  I'm hoping to do all that I can to beat those odds.  So, taking my supplements for now.  

Lots of walking, weights -- anything that's wear bearing should help.  To counter act bone loss  while in space, the astronauts have to exercise two hours a day!

My hips have been hurting me while sleeping.  They really hurt in our RV which supposedly has memory foam on the bed/sofa.  My bed's pretty comfortable though but I toss and turn a lot.  So, I feel for you!

Archived