Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ladolcevita

How Long Do I Have To Gluten-Load Before A Test?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge

"What is a gluten challenge?

A gluten challenge is the period of time when gluten is added back into a person’s diet to assist in the diagnosis of celiac disease. Antibodies take time to build into the blood stream before they can be detected through blood analysis. For a gluten challenge we recommend eating 1/2 slice of bread or a cracker each day for the duration of the challenge.

• Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten.
  • Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten.

In the case of a severe reaction to gluten, a medical professional may opt to shorten the 12-week challenge and move immediately to an endoscopic biopsy."

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge

"What is a gluten challenge?

A gluten challenge is the period of time when gluten is added back into a person’s diet to assist in the diagnosis of celiac disease. Antibodies take time to build into the blood stream before they can be detected through blood analysis. For a gluten challenge we recommend eating 1/2 slice of bread or a cracker each day for the duration of the challenge.

• Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten.
  • Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten.

In the case of a severe reaction to gluten, a medical professional may opt to shorten the 12-week challenge and move immediately to an endoscopic biopsy."

I've been eating gluten for pretty much my entire life except for these past 2 weeks which I've decided to go glutenfree to potentially help another autoimmune disease I have. But now I'm curious as to whether I really have Celiac so I'm thinking to go in for a blood test. Do I have to continue eating gluten for the next 12 weeks, or it is okay to just go in now since I've only been gluten free for a short amount of time? 

I've been eating gluten for pretty much my entire life except for these past 2 weeks which I've decided to go glutenfree to potentially help another autoimmune disease I have. But now I'm curious as to whether I really have Celiac so I'm thinking to go in for a blood test. Do I have to continue eating gluten for the next 12 weeks, or it is okay to just go in now since I've only been gluten free for a short amount of time? 

No one can really say.  Lots of people still have high antibodies after a few months gluten-free.  Its hard to know how your body is reacting.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/how-much-gluten-should-be-consumed-prior-to-being-screened-for-celiac-disease

I would continue to eat it and get blood tested (as already described by Karen) to be sure. If the test were negative would you always wonder if it was a false negative? I would... just a thought.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

Dear god yes lol, I have a corn allergy and the starch is hit miss if it triggers a reaction, but they could also be from rice, or tapioca....seriously they need to go the route of many shampoos/body washes that list the chemical/ingredient...
    since they just say "food starch" they could have made it from a cows arse for all i know. they need to just say what it comes from every time lol
    Here is the interpretation chart he sent me and yes I have 2 kids in which their pediatrician said they didn’t need to be tested unless they show symptoms which goes against everything I have read about symptoms being silent etc.... Is i...