Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oni

Shins?

Hi! I have a super itchy rash on my shin. Is this a normal place for DH flares? I have always gotten rashes, my derm calls it papular eczema (he also said with my history of celiac and seasonal allergies that I just have 'rashy tendencies' whatever that means) He's never tested any spots for DH, just prescribes a steroid cream. I'm celiac and my blood anti ttg titers were in normal ramge last time it was checked. I've had simiar feeling and looking rashes above my ear on my head, laterally on my hips, around my ankles, on my forearms, and frequently on my elbows. I have a steroid cream that I use sometimes when I get a flare but it seems like regardless as to steroid use they last a few weeks before they start going away. Lately the flares have been on my shin and when they kind of go away they leave a patch of skin that's a bit darker than the rest. This time, when it came back, it's still on my shin but moved a bit from the last spot.

Does this seem normal? Any advice?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It typically affects the elbows, knees, buttocks, and upper back, but can appear on other areas as well. Here is more info:

www.celiac.com/articles/22891/1/Dermatitis-Herpetiformis-Diagnosing-and-Treating-the-Gluten-Rash/Page1.html

The biggest concern I would have is that your diet may include small amounts of gluten, which can trigger this. 

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter

I agree with Scott depending on how long and how strict you have been gluten free. Hallmarks are that dh appears on both sides of the body echoing each other. Celiacs have a tendency to rashes or skin issues regardless. Your derm would not be able to do a dh biopsy if you're gluten free --- it would turn up negative. Just like with the celiac blood panel, you must be eating a full gluten diet for 6 weeks to 2 months to have a dh biopsy. Here's the bottom line ~~~ you are celiac so there is no point in getting a dx of dh. A dx of dh is a dx of celiac. Either way, you must eat totally gluten free.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

I have been totally gluten-free for almost 3 years (it'll be 3 in Jan). I'm very diligent, so I don't think that's it.

They don't usually show up on both sides of my body, except for on my elbows.

Really, I'm just sick of using steroid creams. Maybe my dermatologist is right and I just get rashes more often than regular folks..

I just wish I knew how to prevent it.

Join eNewsletter

I have often wondered.....if my dad was celiac without knowing?  He had this unexplained rash on his shins...both sides...ever since I could remember as a child...i would ask my mom about it (it would come and go in intensity, not always the same) and the picture i can give you is this....it looked JUST like the ones i have seen here and elsewhere of people's stomachs....

to me it looked kinda orangy red-y in nature....tons of little ones close together.....like a concentrated type rash...but looks like the photos ive seen at these blogs....and NOW i wonder about what dad didnt know...my mom said she didnt know...it just kinda started 10 years or so after they were married (so maybe 30s, 40s)...and he ultimately died of heart disease..CHF.....but who knows?  his mom died , basically, from rheumatoid arthritis stuff....interesting....NOW i wonder about it....we all just thought it was ...whatever...something...

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter