This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

ANA tests - different results

LookingforAnswers15

LookingforAnswers15 Enthusiast

Hi all,

First of all I hope that those who celebrate Christmas had a wonderful time with their families. I also want to wish everyone a very Happy New Year filled with recovery and happiness. There are a few individuals (you all know who you are) who have been responding to my posts and have been very helpful and kind to me. Thank you. I know I get overwhelmed and scared and I appreciate your support.

Getting necessary tests done is a bit complicated in my case since I have to get them done in different places: 1) the country where I used to live and where I was diagnosed and still have health insurance until the end of this year, 2) my home country that does not always have all necessary supplies/ substances to run these tests so I have to wait for a long time for the results.

So, in August (in my home country) my ANA was weak positive and in November, I was retested again. I just got the test result this week and it was written Positive (with one +). Apparently, ANA can have up to four +.

I did not know that I was going to be retested in my home country in November, and a week or so prior to that, I had to go to the other country where I was diagnosed for a 6-month celiac blood test. I asked the doctor if she could also order ANA test and she did. So, the last time I posted, I wrote that my ANA test came back as negative. 

So, in November, I ended up having ANA test done twice and once it came back as positive (in my country) and once negative (in another country) and blood was taken maybe 7-10 days apart. How is this possible? I was not given any range values.

I was supposed to see my doctor in my home country once I got the test results, but the doctor has been out of the office.

My Vitamin D is lower than normal: 24 (normal range 30-50), but I hope it can get better since I am taking Vitamin D pills.

My right hand, wrist hurts, joints in my entire body make popping sound, I am still losing hair and my hands and feet are cold. I am wondering if this can be caused by APS or something else. This is why I am still concerned but I know that there is nothing I can do and what is meant to be, will be. Any advice? Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

A very Happy New Year to you also!  :)  On to your questions.......

The fact that the ANA testing was done in 2 different countries may explain the differences in results. It also could be that the positive result was very, very close to being a negative but without getting lab ranges and actual testing result numbers, you will not know.  I really hate it when they just give you a positive or negative, without showing actual numbers.  That's kinda important!  :rolleyes:  The ANA test is just a test for general inflammation and is not specific to any one disease, as having one or more AI issues will cause elevated ANA.  It really means that "Yeah....you have inflammation in your body"!  Celiac alone can cause elevated ANA but it can be improved with long term compliance to the gluten free diet.

As far as your other symptoms are concerned, joint pain, cold hands and feet plus the hair loss are flaming symptoms of thyroid disease.  Forgive me if this has already been asked but have you been tested for that?

It can take awhile for you to bring your Vit. D up higher after diagnosis because D is an oil based vitamin and oils are harder to absorb until healing occurs.  It should be taken with meals.  I use a liquid Vitamin D supplement because liquids are easier to absorb and I need all the help I can get.  It also depends on where you live. Sunnier climes usually mean higher levels from sun exposure and if you live in the North Pole like I do (;)), it can be hard to get enough sun exposure in the winter months to bring those numbers up. A range of 30-50 is still not good enough, though, and optimal levels are at least over 70 but ideally, closer to 80-90.  Mine is 45, after almost 11 years gluten-free so I have upped my dosage of supplement cause it's winter here and I don't get much sun right now.  It was initially around 20 when I was diagnosed with Celiac.  People in Florida generally have much better D levels than those of us who live here in New England.

Hope this helps!

icelandgirl Proficient

I replied to this already and it disappeared....so if it somehow shows up again and I double post, I'm sorry.

Anyway...happy new year to you!

I have no knowledge of ANA, but I completely agree with Gemini on vitamin D.  I'm almost 2 years since diagnosis and have been supplementing with D the whole time.  I just had my levels rechecked and  they're at 34.3, up from 33.1 in July...very slow.  My Dr really got after me in July, but I am truly taking 2000 IUs  per day as instructed.   I may have to increase it.  My goal is to get it to 50.

Another thing...have you had your thyroid fully tested, including antibodies?  When I get hypo I have a lot of the symptoms you list.

I hope you get something figured out!

nvsmom Community Regular

I have had elevated ANA in the past and then other times it is negative.  No idea why.

ANA is a titre test so that might explain the +.  A normal ANA is 1:10, 1:20, 1:40 and sometimes 1:80. The 1:80 is positive in some labs and negative in other; that may be the + test result. 1:160 and 1:320 are positive too. 1:640 or 1:1280 are quite high.

a positive ANA just means your immune system is acting up.  It could be celiac disease related, hashi's or some other issue. There are different ANA patterns and soe are more specific to certain health issues than others.  My positive ANAs were always 1:160 and speckled. 1:80 is my normal but can be considered positive in some places.

vitamin D deficiency is common.  In fact, my city will not even test for it anymore because most are low or deficient. D drops or sublingual tablets work the best.  My doctor likes his patients to take up to 10,000 IU per day.

hope you get answers.

Thank you Gemini, Icelandgirl (thank you for posting it again after the first one disappeared ), and Nvsmom and once again, Happy New Year!

I started taking 4000 IUs of Vitamin D. Thank you for telling me that it takes time to raise it. I am not sure when I will get it retested but I am not worried about that now since I began religiously taking Vit. D. I know I need to get it up and I will just continue taking supplements. 

Regarding ANA, I really do not know what to think about my tests. I was also thinking that it could be because they were done in different countries. Nvsmom, you really know a lot about testing. As you said Gemini, I really do not like that they do not provide actual numbers. 

I was tested for thyroid some time ago and they said it was ok but I am not sure which tests they had done. What tests do you recommend that I have done for thyroid? I have to take a look again through so many test results I have.

Thank you again!

icelandgirl Proficient

Gemini and Nicole are the best!  They know more than most Dr's and I consult them on my thyroid issues as well!

Most Dr's will only test TSH for thyroid.  It has a large "acceptable" range of .45-4.5.  I feel awful unless mine is close to 1, but my previous Dr told me I was fine when it was 4.65, even though I felt awful.  The other tests you need are:

Free T3, Free T4, TPOAb and TgAb

The last 2 are antibody tests.  Many of us with celiac have Hashimotos as well.  Please don't let a Dr tell you that your thyroid is fine.  Ask for the tests and specific results.  The thyroid is the master hormone in your body and controls and impacts everything.   When it's off it can make you feel awful!  Here's a little info if you are interested:

Open Original Shared Link

Keep asking questions...we are here to help!  ((Hugs))

Gemini Experienced
On 1/2/2016 at 1:55 PM, icelandgirl said:

Gemini and Nicole are the best!  They know more than most Dr's and I consult them on my thyroid issues as well!

Most Dr's will only test TSH for thyroid.  It has a large "acceptable" range of .45-4.5.  I feel awful unless mine is close to 1, but my previous Dr told me I was fine when it was 4.65, even though I felt awful.  The other tests you need are:

Free T3, Free T4, TPOAb and TgAb

The last 2 are antibody tests.  Many of us with celiac have Hashimotos as well.  Please don't let a Dr tell you that your thyroid is fine.  Ask for the tests and specific results.  The thyroid is the master hormone in your body and controls and impacts everything.   When it's off it can make you feel awful!  Here's a little info if you are interested:

Open Original Shared Link

Keep asking questions...we are here to help!  ((Hugs))

Thank you, icelandgirl, for the lovely compliments.  You are sweet!  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

All of you have been so kind and helpful to me and I really appreciate it! =)

icelandgirl Proficient
1 hour ago, Gemini said:

Thank you, icelandgirl, for the lovely compliments.  You are sweet!  :)

I just speak the truth...you are both awesome and have helped me so much! :)

icelandgirl Proficient
24 minutes ago, LookingforAnswers15 said:

All of you have been so kind and helpful to me and I really appreciate it! =)

You are most welcome...this board is truly great.  So many people willing to help.

On 2 Jan 2016 at 7:55 PM, icelandgirl said:

Most Dr's will only test TSH for thyroid.  It has a large "acceptable" range of .45-4.5.  I feel awful unless mine is close to 1, but my previous Dr told me I was fine when it was 4.65, even though I felt awful.

Hi Icelandgirl, I have a quick question for you. A good friend of mine got tested for TSH and it is 4.6. You said yours was 4.65. How did you lower it down? Thanks a lot! =)

icelandgirl Proficient
33 minutes ago, LookingforAnswers15 said:

Hi Icelandgirl, I have a quick question for you. A good friend of mine got tested for TSH and it is 4.6. You said yours was 4.65. How did you lower it down? Thanks a lot! =)

Hi Looking,

They increased my thyroid medication and that did it.  With a TSH that high I would say your friend is hypothyroid and likely needs thyroid replacement medications.  She should definitely talk to her Dr about that.

Archived