Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Yolanda

Wheat exposure and chronic infections

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease 3+ years ago and lupus 6+ years ago.  I was a stay at home mom. 4 adopted children.  I was fine except for the diarrhea and the basic symptoms.  The is until I got a job outside the house.  Now, after working I can barely walk up stares.  I have chronic bone pain,  I keep getting nasal infections accompanied by eye infections.  The bone pain go's away like magic after 3 or more days off work.  (I do not have a very strenuous job.  I do more physical work at home).  One difference between home and work is there is no gluten in the air.  At work people seem to heat up as much gluten as possible.  _you know I'm answering my own question....  When I work 5 hours with no break (I don't go in the lunch room) I feel fine going home.  Or in the summer months when I eat in my car.... no problems.

Before my family stopped heating up gluten foods at home I was using crutches to walk.  Going up and down stairs was almost impossible.  At one point my feet and legs were useless.  Lupus?  My rheumatologist would test for flare ups.  None.  She would just tell me to avoid gluten.  

I know there are 1 or 2 studies out there about the effects of inhaled gluten.  Anyone know how that's coming along.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

4 hours ago, Yolanda said:

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease 3+ years ago and lupus 6+ years ago.  I was a stay at home mom. 4 adopted children.  I was fine except for the diarrhea and the basic symptoms.  The is until I got a job outside the house.  Now, after working I can barely walk up stares.  I have chronic bone pain,  I keep getting nasal infections accompanied by eye infections.  The bone pain go's away like magic after 3 or more days off work.  (I do not have a very strenuous job.  I do more physical work at home).  One difference between home and work is there is no gluten in the air.  At work people seem to heat up as much gluten as possible.  _you know I'm answering my own question....  When I work 5 hours with no break (I don't go in the lunch room) I feel fine going home.  Or in the summer months when I eat in my car.... no problems.

Before my family stopped heating up gluten foods at home I was using crutches to walk.  Going up and down stairs was almost impossible.  At one point my feet and legs were useless.  Lupus?  My rheumatologist would test for flare ups.  None.  She would just tell me to avoid gluten.  

I know there are 1 or 2 studies out there about the effects of inhaled gluten.  Anyone know how that's coming along.

Gluten must be in the small intestines to trigger a Celiac antibody reaction.  It doesn't happen in the lungs.  Now, if there is actually flour floating in the air, like in a bakery, you would likely swallow some of it when breathing.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/i-work-in-a-bakery-can-breathing-wheat-cause-a-problem-for-me-or-do-i-have-to-ingest-it

Edited by kareng

Join eNewsletter

I would use the microwave, but keep my food covered.  If someone's food "exploded", theoretically, it could fall off the "ceiling" into my food.  There is a possibility of cc if you use the same plates or silverware if they haven't been cleaned well.  That sort of thing.

You might want to consider that it isn't a gluten issue.  What else might be in that kitchen that could be a problem?  A certain cleaner they use?  Mold? Bacteria?  Close proximity to people's perfumes?  just a few examples. 

Join eNewsletter