This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can mild symptoms still be celiac or g. Intolerance

Racarley

Racarley Newbie

Hi I am new to the forums, a 24 year old male.I've been doing a lot of research online recently and just started learning about celiac disease.A lot of the symptoms describe my problems.I am look constantly bloated.I know it isn't body fat because of how far it sticks out compared to the rest of my body and I don't drink beer.it always feels irritated and tender to touch. It constantly makes sounds throughout the day both high pitched and low gurgly ones.I have been feeling more and more tired to where I sleep for 10 or more hours and still don't feel refreshed and I get bad dark rings under my eyes in the morning. I started working out with light xbox fitness aerobics just 30 minutes a few times a week for more energy but have had less energy,lots of joint pain, and random mild muscle strains.my stomach pain was much greater a couple years ago to the point where I didn't want to eat. I would eat once a day because of this but had diarrhea every day.I went to gi and got a colonoscopy.it came back normal.that gi , who was very rude and short with me,  diagnosed ibs and gave me a blue pill that I forgot, and that didn't work. I started eating more and now I have constipation every day. I've had problems for a while now where whether it's diarrhea or constipation,I can't go completely.my body won't push it out as hard as I try all at once and find myself returning soon if I can, or holding it in if I'm at work or school since I can't just keep going each time I feel it. I've tried more fiber,less fiber, and now miralax.nothing has helped these feelings. I eat a lot of gluten, have sinus problems, anxiety, asthsma,plenty of other allergies.No doctor or gi has given me the celiac blood panel my parents and their parents, etc have had a history of stomach problems but none diagnosed with celiac.I don't know whether my older relatives ever tested but I know my parents haven't. Sorry for so much info, but this is my first post and I wanted to give as much background info possible.

Anyways my question is. . . It seems with mostly all the celiacs I've read about, when they are glutened they feel sick to their stomach, with nausea, vomiting, and severe migraines. With me, I have mild discomfort, gas,and constipation constantly,but have never thrown up, had extreme headaches, or unbearable pain more than a handful of times since I've felt this way(which has been probably about ten years) unless I was holding a movement in at school which would get painful. Does this sound like it could be celiac or gluten intolerance even though I haven't thrown up, had heart burn, migraines, dizzyness, etc as a result to eating gluten to my knowledge? 

I am going to the gi, same place different doctor soon where I plan on demanding a test for it. Because I'm tired of feeling this way and getting wrong diagnoses and treatments. But I was looking to get your opinions on if it could still be gluten related so I can have some confidence in being firm with the gi I see to get an endoscope biopsy or at least a blood panel. 

Thanks, Ryan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am sorry that you are sick!  There are 300 symptoms related to celiac disease!  

Open Original Shared Link

I would say you qualify for at least screening blood tests.  You should rule out celiac disease.  I think an IBS diagnosis really means "I be Stumped."

Here are the  tests and you have to be eating gluten!  

-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA and (tTG) IgG
-Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and (DGP) IgG
-EMA IgA 
-total serum IgA and IgG (control test)
-AGA IGA and AGA IgG - older and less reliable tests largely replace by the DGP tests

-endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken

VERY IMPORTANT:  Keep eating gluten daily until ALL testing is complete or the tests can be inaccurate.  

(Source: NVSMOM -- ?)

Welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes! 

squirmingitch Veteran

I agree with Cyclinglady.

Furthermore, we are all individuals so don't go by what you think others have for symptoms. We don't ALL have the same exact symptoms. I got nausea in the latter years but did not throw up. I have dermatitus herpitiformis (the celiac rash) & had "D" only about every 6 weeks, not all the time or even what I would call frequently. Never had constipation. My hubs had alternating "D" & constipation. See? We're all different & our symptoms vary AND they can change over time as one continues to eat gluten unaware that gluten is the problem. Then the symptoms can intensify and new symptoms add to the old ones.

I will say one thing that may help you with the constipation for now. You can try it & see if it helps since you have to keep eating gluten until all testing is done. First thing in the morning put a tablespoon of lemon juice in warm or hot water (you can add a little sugar to make it palatable) & drink it. Follow that with a tablespoon of coconut oil. Don't expect results the very first day but in 4 or 5 days you should see results. You should start eliminating every morning like clockwork. 

Racarley Newbie

Thank you both, I will definitely try that constipation remedy and make sure I get the blood test panel. Is there anyway to skip the panel and opt for the biopsy?Or is there just more that needs to be seen on the blood test? I only ask because I'm pretty eager to start a gluten free diet regardless of the results for relief. 

Thanks again! 

cyclinglady Grand Master

You will need to do the blood test first.  

Take the time and research more about celiac disease.  Talk to your doctor.   Do not go gluten free until all testing is done. 

squirmingitch Veteran

But if your doctor says you can go gluten free BEFORE tests are completed then find yourself another doctor!

Archived