This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten free 4 weeks

Alanamichelle

Alanamichelle Newbie

I haven't been diagnosed with celiac but have 2 of the possible 4 genes that celiacs have. I am needing to get an endoscopy. I'm hypothyroid with digestive issues for a few years now. I've been low gluten for this time but am currently 4 weeks cold turkey. A slip up a week ago though, where i ate gluten. I have good and bad days - mostly bad. I feel like I'm getting worse. Severe bloating. Depression. Fatigue. Cravings. When does it get better?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

you need to be eating gluten to be tested for Celiac.

you might look at what you are eating.  Often, when people go gluten-free, they change their diet drastically  - more fiber, less fiber, etc.

cyclinglady Grand Master

It can take months to several years to recover from celiac disease.  Is there a reason why you had the gene test and not the antibodies test?  The gene tests just tells you if you have the chance of developing celiac disease.  About 35 to 40 percent of the population has the gene but on a tiny fraction go on to develop celiac disease.  Doctors use the gene test to rule out (not determine) celiac disease.  

Is there a chance you could go back on gluten and get tested?  Here are the tests:

Open Original Shared Link

Unfortunately, you must be eating gluten daily (1 to 2 slices of day for example) for 8 to 12 weeks for the blood test.  

I hope this helps.  

Alanamichelle Newbie
8 hours ago, kareng said:

you need to be eating gluten to be tested for Celiac.

you might look at what you are eating.  Often, when people go gluten-free, they change their diet drastically  - more fiber, less fiber, etc.

I know :( I'm waiting to when that will happen before starting gluten again. Yeah I think I've increased fibre what would that do? 

Alanamichelle Newbie
7 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

It can take months to several years to recover from celiac disease.  Is there a reason why you had the gene test and not the antibodies test?  The gene tests just tells you if you have the chance of developing celiac disease.  About 35 to 40 percent of the population has the gene but on a tiny fraction go on to develop celiac disease.  Doctors use the gene test to rule out (not determine) celiac disease.  

Is there a chance you could go back on gluten and get tested?  Here are the tests:

Unfortunately, you must be eating gluten daily (1 to 2 slices of day for example) for 8 to 12 weeks for the blood test.  

I hope this helps.  

When I had the blood test I don't think I really wanted to know. Plus money. I have recently had an antibody test and I have alot. I was eating low gluten at the time of test. Also could be from my autoimmune disease. I need to get tested properly. Via endoscopy. Apparently celiac goes hand in hand with hashimotos. Plus gluten attacks your immune system which I obviously don't need. It's hard to document symptoms and really know what is upsetting my gut.

The blood test was  while ago and the doc said there was a chance I'd develop celiac.

cyclinglady Grand Master
32 minutes ago, Alanamichelle said:

When I had the blood test I don't think I really wanted to know. Plus money. I have recently had an antibody test and I have alot. I was eating low gluten at the time of test. Also could be from my autoimmune disease. I need to get tested properly. Via endoscopy. Apparently celiac goes hand in hand with hashimotos. Plus gluten attacks your immune system which I obviously don't need. It's hard to document symptoms and really know what is upsetting my gut.

The blood test was  while ago and the doc said there was a chance I'd develop celiac.

I am confused.  Exactly what tests did you have to determine you have an autoimmune problem? What were the results?  Your doctor said that you had a chance of developing celiac disease because of the gene test or did you have a positive on one of the tests on  the celiac blood panel?  

-- Celiac gene test

-- Celiac antibody panel -- TTG IgA and IgG, DGP IgA and IgG, EMA, IGA defciency test (control test)

-- Complete thyroid panel (including TPO antibodies)

I encourage you to get and maintain copies of all doctor visits and lab results.  Frankly, the only person who really cares about your health is you.  Doctor's make mistakes.  Geez, it's the the third or fourth cause of death in the US (hospital errors).  

Alanamichelle Newbie

I was diagnosed a few years ago with hypothyroid - hashimotos via blood test of TSH levels. Controlled with meds but I'm still struggling with digestive issues. I always keep my records :) definately a good idea, also I am in Australia so some tests maybe be different. I had a positive of the gene panel - apparently they found DQ 8 alleles. I recently tested for thyroid antibodies and they were high. Thyroid peroxidase Ab and thyroid oblong Ab.

Gluten attacks your immune system, mine is already struggling so I've stopped gluten. I'm wondering if feeling worse before better is something that's normal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
11 hours ago, Alanamichelle said:

I was diagnosed a few years ago with hypothyroid - hashimotos via blood test of TSH levels. Controlled with meds but I'm still struggling with digestive issues. I always keep my records :) definately a good idea, also I am in Australia so some tests maybe be different. I had a positive of the gene panel - apparently they found DQ 8 alleles. I recently tested for thyroid antibodies and they were high. Thyroid peroxidase Ab and thyroid oblong Ab.

Gluten attacks your immune system, mine is already struggling so I've stopped gluten. I'm wondering if feeling worse before better is something that's normal.

Okay.  You do not have a celiac diagnosis.  The gene test can help rule out celiac disease but it is not the normal diagnostic tests.  

I guess your plan was to go gluten free to help your thyroid issues.  I have seen that on the internet.  Who knows?  It may help.

Autoimmune (e.g. celiac, MS, RA, Hashi's) can take time for a flare-up to subside.  Give the diet six months if you are going to go that route, but honestly, I think you need to do some more research.  

Like so many other hear, I went for years being diagnosed with other things.  I just hate to see others have to go through the same diagnostic hell.  

Take care and ask away!  We are here to help! 

Archived