This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Not Sure If Celiac Or Not, Going To Dr. Next Week

Bea

Bea Newbie

Hello, I'm new here and want all the information I can gather before seeing my doctor next week. I was told by a friend that I need to ask my doctor about celiac. Is it diagnosed by EGD or by blood tests. I have had off and on nausea for the last 3-4 years. Also some pain around my ribs on both sides but occasionally sensation of a ball behind right ribs. Two years ago, gallbladder studies were normal. EGD showed mild inflammation. For the last 6 months, I've also had several bouts of diarrhea but no cramps, just urgency to move bowel, not constantly though. Just three weeks ago, I had another EGD which again showed mild inflammation and colonoscopy was normal. I also do get a small rash on my right palm, not sure if it is that skin rash related to celiac. It starts out as what seems to be a few pimples, then they dry up, turn red, and go away for a few weeks. It's always the same spot on my palm. Does drinking milk cause symptoms of celiac? I drink maybe 3-4 glasses a week and really don't notice any problems. Any other info you have for me is really appreciated. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

The range of symptoms is quite large, though there are many problems common to most sufferers. The pimples and such you describe sounds like something my mother had on her wrists, which turned out to be a yeast infection. She is also sensitive to wheat, dairy, and a host of other things, not the least of which are nightshade foods like tomatoes. Those in particular give her rashes as well.

I know you will learn a lot even with just the recent discussions on this board from the past week or so. Scan through them, even ones that don't seem interesting or applicable to you. The wealth of information is serving me well. I'm sure it will for you too. You'll also be reminded of various things which you can use as search terms to locate threads on the board, so don't forget the search :)

Does drinking milk cause symptoms of celiac?

Dairy products are commonly found to be a problem for the gluten intolerant individual. From what I've read, one of the first problems from the damage to the small intestine is lactose intolerance. That may subside over time as the gut repaires itself. It depends on the person.

traveljunkie Rookie

Hi Bea,

I would like to welcome you as many have welcomed me..I'm new here as well. Celiac has many symptoms..some of which you mention but you could also be gluten intolerant. Do you notice when the diarrhea and itchy palm occur.? Did you eat pasta, bread or anything with gluten in it? My son and I are gluten intolerant after a round of strong antibiotics. Our bodies react to gluten like its a foreign invader now! lol It sucks but its our reality and have adjusted quite well. We tested negative in blood tests but we were gluten free at the time for 5 months. I would ask for a blood test but just moniter your diet and keep a food diary. Its amazing how much we forget what we ate and when and don't even realize what the offending food may have been. Good luck and keep us posted!

Archived