SillyWilly

Hypoglycemia with possible Celiac?

Rate this topic

Is 60's blood sugar one hour after meal a Celiac side effect? Gluten free one week, hypoglycemia symptoms the last two months at least once a day after meals. 

Fasting bs = 80

post meal occasionally spikes 150 within 30 minutes but usually spikes to 120 within 30 min. 

Always comes back down to 70's 80's BUT occasionally drops to low 60's twice 50's with all the hypo symptoms. Scares the begeebers outta me! 

I eat an apple and a banana while drinking OJ to get within normal range.

Always eating every two-three hours but still having hypo reactions. 

Celiac possibility of malnourishment?

Hypoglycemia could very well be related to celiac disease:

https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/celiac disease-and-diabetes/

Here's from a member of the forum, Peter: 

I would not say that a gluten-free diet would necessarily help  someone with hypoglycemia unless they actually had celiac disease.   So, in your case (if you were diagnosed), you should go on a gluten-free diet and a lower carb diet to better manage hypoglycemia issues.  You can go on a lower carb diet right now.  That's would not affect the outcome of your celiac disease blood tests.  

Believe me, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, etc. can all be affected by celiac disease.  Most resolve with the gluten-free diet.  In my case, no.  Diabetes just runs in my family despite me being thin and fit.  (Thanks, Dad!)

In the meantime, help your lows by adding measured foods so you do not over correct.

http://www.joslin.org/info/how_to_treat_a_low_blood_glucose.html