Sass

62 yr old woman...celiac?

Rate this topic

Went to my doc with: digestive problems, bad gas and bloating, stomach ache, constipation/diarrea. She did internal exam, said I was fine and prescribed tranquillizers. My doc's typical response is to assume problems are all in my head. After a bit of research I decided to stop eating bread products and within about a week started feeling better. About a month later I was traveling and faced with limited menu started eating bread again. OMG! Very bad case of same problem. I can't wait for a diagnosis (assuming my doc would agree to tests anyway) so will just start gluten free diet. My q: if it is gluten, how long till i start to feel better?

9 hours ago, Sass said:

Went to my doc with: digestive problems, bad gas and bloating, stomach ache, constipation/diarrea. She did internal exam, said I was fine and prescribed tranquillizers. My doc's typical response is to assume problems are all in my head. After a bit of research I decided to stop eating bread products and within about a week started feeling better. About a month later I was traveling and faced with limited menu started eating bread again. OMG! Very bad case of same problem. I can't wait for a diagnosis (assuming my doc would agree to tests anyway) so will just start gluten free diet. My q: if it is gluten, how long till i start to feel better?

Sass.......please do not go gluten free until you have done a complete Celiac panel and possibly a biopsy for Celiac Disease.  I know it is hard when you have extreme symptoms but I think it important to try and get an official diagnosis.  Doctors do that to us older ladies and there is no excuse for that behavior.  If you do not get results from your doc, then I would suggest a new doctor. Really...it is that important.

https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/diagnosing-celiac-disease/screening/  I would take this information to your doctor and demand a full panel.  Do not take no for an answer.  I am not hopeful as anyone who would prescribe tranquilizers to someone with your symptoms is an asshat.  If you noticed that much of a difference between partial gluten-free and regular diet, then you probably have some degree of an issue with gluten.  But you must be very willing to go strictly gluten-free and not cheat in order to feel better and many people feel that an official diagnosis will help them do that.

FYI....I was diagnosed via blood work only.  I failed all tests except the tTg/IgG by huge numbers and had all the symptoms of classic Celiac.  That was enough for me because like you, I was really sick with extreme symptoms for a long time. I have never looked back and never cheat.  If there had been any discrepancy on the blood work, I would have gone for the biopsy. Do the panel and see what it comes up with.  Good luck!

I have to agree with Gemini, you must not go gluten free until you've had an endoscopy with biopsies (first you get the blood work done, then you get your confirmation by a follow-up endoscopy), it's the reaction to the gluten that creates the antibodies' you won't get that reaction if you don't eat gluten.

It might seem inconvenient, but in the long run it will be worth it.