Mnoosh

peanut and nut butters? suggestions?

Rate this topic

What kind of peanut butter or nut butters do you all use? Do I really need to spend $10+ on a jar that specifically says "gluten free" or can I trust that say, trader joes peanut butter-which lists only dry roasted peanuts and salt as the ingredients, is safe? This is all so new to me, and I'm going to meet with a nutritionist in a few weeks to have some questions answered, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask here what you all do... Thanks!

Like kareng said, it really doesn't matter, but I still look at the ingredients on the label by habit now.  It may not have specifically the glutened grain products, but another sneaky ingredient I have found is maltodextrin, unless it specifically states it is made from corn. 

actually the last few years, many companies have come out with reasonable priced peanut butters. I suppose if want $10 peanut/alternate butters you can certainly find 10 dollar stuff, but I pay just $2.38 for jiffy honey roast and it is gluten free. But not all people can or like peanuts, so just shop around at dare I say it, yup,  Walmart to find a reasonably priced version of your desire!

22 minutes ago, ceracea said:

I use the natural ones because I don't like any more preservatives than necessary. I haven't had any issues with the Skippy natural or the Peter Pan natural. It is peanuts, sugar, palm oil, and salt so no gluten containing items.

Regular Skippy has peanuts, oil and salt.  No preservatives

16 minutes ago, cstark said:

Like kareng said, it really doesn't matter, but I still look at the ingredients on the label by habit now.  It may not have specifically the glutened grain products, but another sneaky ingredient I have found is maltodextrin, unless it specifically states it is made from corn. 

Maltodextrin shouldn't be a gluten concern in the US.