Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
Karenshine

Brownie recipe-leaves me feeling 'glutened'

Rate this topic

I have a brownie recipe I have modified to make gluten free, and every time I eat it, I end up feeling 'glutened'-severe heartburn, gas, bloating, the works. I use my own gluten-free flour mixture, toll house cocoa, baking powder, salt, butter, eggs, and vanilla. All are labeled without glutinous ingredients. Eaten separately, I don't react to any of the ingredients. Any ideas what might be going on?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What did you sub for real gluten?  Gluten makes baked goods "stretch and bind".  Bakers often add more gluten (a separate ingredient) in bread.  Did your flour mixture contain any gums?  I personally can not tolerate Xanthan Gum yet it does not bother my hubby.  Too bad for me, I can not eat most commercially produced gluten-free bread products (still after three years!)   So, I use other gums like guar gum.  Pamela makes a decent gluten-free mixture that does not contain xanthan gum.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

I had a very similar initial reaction when I remade my black bean fudge brownies.....I find the cocoa butter seems to bother me. End us using more of a blend of cocoa powder and coconut oil instead of chocolate chips. This might be it for you or it might be a synergistic effect with something and the dairy making it harder on your digestive system IE the breakdown of the milk and cocoa fats and proteins in combination.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Most chocolate has dairy in it and also soy.  So if you are reacting either of those they could be the issue.  Enjoy Life makes dairy free, soy-free chocolate chips.  Baker's Secret plain unsweetened chocolate bars have no soy or dairy also.

If it's not the chocolate the next most likely problem ingredient would be the flour mixture.  One of the ingredients might be contaminated with gluten.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul