This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Magnesium Citrate & Acid reflux question

Mermaid's Mom

Mermaid's Mom Enthusiast

So I have started my daughter on a magnesium citrate supplement.  I also took a does the first night so I have an idea of its effects.  (background info: about a month ago she started asking for tums about once a week close to bedtime for acid reflux)   So the first night I noticed that it really bothered my stomach in the sense that it felt like I had a lot of stomach acid as a result.  I had no heartburn etc. but a definite feeling of "burning" in my stomach.  We both took it right before bed.  The next day she reported the same feeling - that it "upset" her stomach.   I cut the dose in half and also gave it to her earlier in the evening.  But tonight she reported "heartburn" after drinking it.   Is this an indicator of low stomach acid?  I realize that she should NOT be taking a Tums if that is the case but I can't tease out from what I am reading if this heartburn is an indicator of LOW stomach acid or LOTS of stomach acid.  Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Can you give her some magnesium rich foods instead of the supplement?  Foods are always the best way to get nutrients.

Here is a link to a list

Open Original Shared Link

Ennis-TX Grand Master

If the citrate version bothers you in small amounts as low as 1/2tsp then you need to change to Magnesium Glycinate like Doctors best. Some people do not react well to the citrate. NOTE Citrate version of magnesium is used as a laxative in higher doses and sold in stores that way mixed up in bottles.    Some of us just react that way to it, I use both myself on rotation, and actually use the citrate version sometimes to help move along gut when it needs that extra boost. As raven suggested eating more in foods is also a options. But I Found NO amount of food consumption could boost my levels where I needed them not even with stuff like pea protein and pumpkin seed protein.

Also on the glycinate version try halving the dose starting off, perhaps drinking it with less juice or liquid. Magnesium makes your body retain water naturally so can give a bit of a heart burn sensation. This is normal, mine normally passes within a hour to two, I also drink it warm to help it start going through my gut faster and promote it hurry on along.    You might want to play with when and how to take it, perhaps it might work better with a food? >.> I have used glycinate as a food additive in homemade dips, and ice cream as it has a doughish flavor when mixed into something sweet.

Mermaid's Mom Enthusiast

Thanks everyone.  I continued to read up on it after I posted and determined that I truly do think she is low on S.A.   Ironically I chose the Citrate FOR the purpose of aiding her with constipation but I really like the idea of alternating it with a different version.  Will definitely look into the one you mentioned.   I also think I will give smaller amounts throughout the day.  The first dose was 2 tsp diluted in a beverage and the next day I dropped it down to 1tsp.  Now I think I will keep it at 1tsp but break it down into 2 smaller servings and give one in the morning and one in the early evening.  In terms of low stomach acid - is this one of those things that just needs to slowly sort itself out as the gut heals and I replace all the deficient minerals etc?  Or do you help things along with a digestive enzyme or other techniques?  Any ideas and product names appreciated!  Thanks!!

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 minute ago, Mermaid's Mom said:

Thanks everyone.  I continued to read up on it after I posted and determined that I truly do think she is low on S.A.   Ironically I chose the Citrate FOR the purpose of aiding her with constipation but I really like the idea of alternating it with a different version.  Will definitely look into the one you mentioned.   I also think I will give smaller amounts throughout the day.  The first dose was 2 tsp diluted in a beverage and the next day I dropped it down to 1tsp.  Now I think I will keep it at 1tsp but break it down into 2 smaller servings and give one in the morning and one in the early evening.  In terms of low stomach acid - is this one of those things that just needs to slowly sort itself out as the gut heals and I replace all the deficient minerals etc?  Or do you help things along with a digestive enzyme or other techniques?  Any ideas and product names appreciated!  Thanks!!

We have a member who SWEARs everyone is low on stomach acid and tells everyone to drop PPIs and take betaine hcl which increases the strength of ones stomach acid. This might work for some people. There are many supporting articles, and published works on it, especially if you notice undigested food in the stool, Simply put some people have a issues where the acid is not strong enough or enough there to break down ones foods before getting into the intestines for proper digestion and absorption. There are even some conditions that are triggered by longterm use of PPI medications that can be reversed in some people by getting off PPIs and moving to betaine, just not everyone.

For me personally I take a blend of Jarrow digestive enzymes and bromelain just recently to help break down my foods, ease gas, and help with digestion. Along with a low does probiotic meant for IBS. I tried the betaine thing for s$#&s and giggles.....yeah that messed me up, and was not my cure. But we are all different. 

Archived