Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
Tal

Pain and menstrual problems after consuming gluten

Rate this topic

I About three weeks ago I happened to be eating a bun. Since then, I still have stomach aches, my defections are not normal, and my cycle is over a week late. I am 21 years old, I have been diagnosed with gluten sensitivity in my infancy. I'm really stressed out, and I'm afraid to go to the doctor and hear that I've caused permanent damage.

Does it make sense that it has been so long and I still suffer from pain and unregular defections? And did it happen to someone, that her period was late after consuming gluten? Did the period come back after that, and did you have to take any pills? And if I go to the doctor, which doctor should I go to, general, endocrinologist, gynecologist?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome to the board. First off set your mind at ease. Your slip up did not do you any permanent damage. Any illness or bad stressor can affect our periods. If there is any possibility you may be pregnant do get tested if it doesn't start soon.  It can take some time for our bodies to heal from a good glutening. If you ate tht whole bun you got a big dose. However if things get worse or don't improve soon do make an appointment with your GP to be certain nothing else is going on like food poisoning etc. 

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

On 11.4.2018 at 3:41 PM, ravenwoodglass said:

Welcome to the board. First off set your mind at ease. Your slip up did not do you any permanent damage. Any illness or bad stressor can affect our periods. If there is any possibility you may be pregnant do get tested if it doesn't start soon.  It can take some time for our bodies to heal from a good glutening. If you ate tht whole bun you got a big dose. However if things get worse or don't improve soon do make an appointment with your GP to be certain nothing else is going on like food poisoning etc. 

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Thank you. I almost never consume gluten. Moreover, as I have a non-celiac gluten sensitivity I'm sure that "my condition is relatively fine" But the extreme reaction really made me nervous...