This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is TriLyte colonoscopy prep gluten free?

Neo

Neo Newbie

Diagnosed Celiac 2011 by blood test and scope, been gluten-free since. Been in severe pain, nausea, passing a great deal of blood.  So need to prep for colonoscopy and got Rx for TriLyte with flavor packs (lemon-lime & cherry). Gastro Doc said it was "probably" gluten free.  Really? Probably?  Asked his Physician Asst. to make sure before I leave so he could Rx something else if need be.  She comes back after a long wait, "I think it should be; check with the pharmacist when you pick it up, they'll know". They don't know with any certainty either, though they did try calling & looking online. I've tried online myself & left multiple messages at the Inquires pH. #  at Wallace Pharm, nothing. Has anyone here used this product safely?  I'm delaying the test until I get a straight answer or another prep that's definitely gluten-free. Has anyone else here safely used this product? Or recommend another you KNOW is gluten-free safe? Or know where I can get a definite yes or no answer? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LilyR Rising Star

I have no idea.  I was going to suggest looking for the phone number on the bottle to call them, but now see from your post that you've tried that, and online.  That must be getting very frustrating.  It seems if there is any allergy in it, being something used to prep for medical testing, it should list it on the bottle, like how some products will say at the end of ingredients list, "Contains milk" or soy, wheat, nuts, etc.  But who knows.  I hope you can find an answer. I wonder if you can ask your dr or nurse if they have any other celiac patients who have had the colonoscopy and been okay drinking that prep stuff?  Sure, it'd be a little research for them, but it is important.  Then when they find out, they can know for sure and let all their future patients know also.  Good luck, and I hope you are able to get some answers to help you feel better soon. It sure does get exhausting feeling so cruddy. Hang in there. 

• 1 year later...
RealCurious Newbie

Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm getting the same response from my physician and pharmacist. What did you end up using, and how did it go?

kareng Grand Master

Our GI uses Miralx and Gatorade.  See if you can do that. It’s the same thing

Edited by kareng
Ennis-TX Grand Master

>.< Miralax etc never worked for me, I always just grabbed 2-3 bottles of that cherry magnesium citrate laxative from Walmart, normally the first 2 each with another 32oz of liquid would flush on through within 4-8 hours.

RealCurious Newbie
On 1/5/2020 at 8:46 AM, kareng said:

My pharmacist says that the maltodextrin (or other flavoring/sweetener) in Miralax may not be gluten free, so I'd better avoid that one.  Thank you for replying!

On 1/5/2020 at 8:46 AM, kareng said:

RealCurious Newbie
On 1/5/2020 at 12:24 PM, Ennis_TX said:

>.< Miralax etc never worked for me, I always just grabbed 2-3 bottles of that cherry magnesium citrate laxative from Walmart, normally the first 2 each with another 32oz of liquid would flush on through within 4-8 hours.

Thank you for replying. I may use this option. Did you experience a lot of cramping with this? (Just curious.) I'm wondering if I should take something with it to buffer against painful cramping.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 hours ago, RealCurious said:

Thank you for replying. I may use this option. Did you experience a lot of cramping with this? (Just curious.) I'm wondering if I should take something with it to buffer against painful cramping.

Depends on your diet and your GI tract/microflora, go the liquid diet only with broths/oils 24-48hours before allows most of the hard stuff, and foods that might irritate the intestines or produce gas when being flushed through to pass. I took a generic gasX this last time that was labeled gluten free as I was previously having some.
Be sure to have a book/tablet and phone battery while your flushing out, >.< if you start clearing in the evening have a sleeping pallet made up on the bathroom floor to save running to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

kareng Grand Master
7 hours ago, RealCurious said:

My pharmacist says that the maltodextrin (or other flavoring/sweetener) in Miralax may not be gluten free, so I'd better avoid that one.  Thank you for replying!

You can get a different brand but your pharmacist has no idea.  Maltodextrin is gluten-free and sweeteners and flavorings are rarely an issue. And, if you looked at their website, it says it is gluten-free.  
  You should ask the doctor what other prep he or she will except

.  I get the feeling you are just dragging you feet a bit?  I get it, it’s not fun, but sometimes it needs to be done.  

Edited by kareng
RealCurious Newbie
7 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Depends on your diet and your GI tract/microflora, go the liquid diet only with broths/oils 24-48hours before allows most of the hard stuff, and foods that might irritate the intestines or produce gas when being flushed through to pass. I took a generic gasX this last time that was labeled gluten free as I was previously having some.
Be sure to have a book/tablet and phone battery while your flushing out, >.< if you start clearing in the evening have a sleeping pallet made up on the bathroom floor to save running to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Very helpful. Thank you so much! ???

RealCurious Newbie
2 hours ago, kareng said:

You can get a different brand but your pharmacist has no idea.  Maltodextrin is gluten-free and sweeteners and flavorings are rarely an issue. And, if you looked at their website, it says it is gluten-free.  

.  I get the feeling you are just dragging you feet a bit?  I get it, it’s not fun, but sometimes it needs to be done.  

Thank you. I did not see gluten free on their website, but I may have missed it.  

I have not been dragging my feet.  My appointment is scheduled. I am trying to do my due diligence so that I don't end up even sicker. It's a bit disconcerting when your own physician and local pharmacists shrug their shoulders and say they aren't sure.  I must educate myself in such a circumstance. I have multiple chronic and autoimmune conditions that I live with daily, so everything I do comes at a price. I have to carefully mitigate the overall costs of everything I do by being as informed and prepared as I can.  Even my doctor supports me on this, and is glad to know there is a forum that I can reach out to for more information. 

RealCurious Newbie
2 hours ago, kareng said:

PS - I forgot to mention that I also have a corn sensitivity. There is no way to discern what the maltodextrin is made from. 

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer, though.